my dryer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by stumpyacres, Dec 20, 2004.

1. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

it started squeeling real loud then it quit tumbling - what could be the prob - woth fixing? It electric and hangin out is a pain for me - I work all the time and have three tennagers...brrrr

2. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

It might be the fan belt. Remove the back and look. Can you turn the drum by hand? If you turn it on do you hear the motor running? If it is the belt take the old one with to get replacement.

3. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Something may have happened to the belt. Get the model and serial number and call Sears' parts to order one. They're the cheapest source I've found. They have an 800 number you can get off the internet. Usually the top opens up at the front and hinges at the back. By lifting that you can tell if something happened to the belt. Just pull up at the front of the top. You may have to pry with something that won't mar the finish. If the belt's bad, look inside at the top of the front panel (not the control panel). There should be a screw on either side that when removed lets you remove the front by lifting the panel straight up. After that the belt should be simple to replace. You should be able to fix it in less than a half hour the first time. The belt usually wraps all around the drum.

4. ChuckinVA

ChuckinVA Well-Known Member

And if it is the belt, there is usually an tension pulley that keeps the belt tight against the drum. Be sure this is in place or the belt will not be tight enough to turn the drum

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I had one that had a big felt? gasket around the front of the drum,it got bad and hung the machine up,it would squeal too. Got a new machine,FWIW
    BooBoo

6. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

Yep, sounds like the belt. You can tell by removing the kick-plate and reaching inside. if the belt that goes around the drum is loose then you confirmed it.

This is good news. Belts are inexpensive and you can easily replace it yourself. Hey, you have teenagers so they can help!

7. electronrider

electronrider Well-Known Member

Well, you mentioned your own fix! If you have 3 teenagers, why on earth are YOU doing the laundry? After about 3 days of smelly clothes, I bet they would be sufficiently motivated to hang their own clothes out ;)

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

This site http://www.repairclinic.com/0001.asp has a repair selection and it will walk you through each step necessary to repair your dryer. The parts sold at the site are modestly priced and shipping is prompt.

9. dale

dale Well-Known Member

Ive had one squell before and itwas the bearing the the back of the drum ran on . it was not too expensive and was not hard to replace either.

dale

10. UncleTom

UncleTom Well-Known Member

If it is a sears of whirpool it could be the idler wheels that the drum rotates on. They get dry. Take them off the shaft and clean, a little oil on them and that should fix it.