My dryer start button

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by rosehaven, Dec 20, 2004.

1. rosehaven

rosehaven Well-Known Member

died this morning. When pushed to start the dryer is makes a noise then nothing happens. Husband took back panel off this morning and looked to see what is the problem before he went to work. He stated when he pushed the start buttun the fan tried to turn but no response so, if anyone has had this lovely experience or would like to pass on some knowledge to us folks here in cold FL. in the twenty's for us and darn cold.

Thank you to everyone on this forum.
    Ed and April :confused:

2. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't have an answer to your particular start button problem but had a similar thing happen. My dryer is powered by L.P. gas. I'm always nagging about the dryer vent needing to be checked/cleaned (because of the fire hazard). Well, my dryer would start without pressing the button if on a cycle and door was shut. Also the buzzer wouldn't shut off at the end of the cycle. DH pulled the dryer apart along with the vent. We dusted and vaccumed every place that could be reached. He put it back together and voila! the problems were solved. Who would have thought that a little dust probably shorted out the connections. Maybe not your problem but worth a try.

Nappy

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

This site http://www.repairclinic.com/0001.asp has a repair selection and it will walk you through each step necessary to repair your dryer. The parts sold at the site are modestly priced and shipping is prompt.

4. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

You dont happen to have a Maytag, do you? With the square button? my parents and I have the same type, and the button dosnt like to stay and then it doesnt want to start the dryer. Chek into the electrical things first, you dont want a fire this time of year. Mine also wont dry well or stay on if the vent is blocked. HTH

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Is this an electric or gas dryer?

6. rosehaven

Sears (Kenmore) brand. I am thinking it may be the switch but I really have no working knowledge on dryers. When hubbie gets up this am I will have him trouble shoot again and go from there. Thanks to everyone who has taken time out to help.

April :)

7. rosehaven

well, husband took apart dryer this am and motor still works. Cleaned and lubricated parts. Put back together and ran just fine and dried a load of clothes. Toward the end husband stated the dryer started to sound different. When the clothes were take out the dryer would not re-start. Okay, husband stated there was one roller that was not rolling very good so he is going to take apart tomorrow once again. Would the roller be putting undue stress on the motor??????? Thanks for any and all help.

Peace and Blessings,
    april :)