Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured out the direction I want to go! I am going to dive into having "Mini's" They will work well with our place. Plus it makes my current goats have a purpose and that helps when it comes time to tell hubby I need more hay LOL.

Anyways, I have a Mini Alpine Buck and Doe who are registered. (1st generations) I have a nonregistered Mini Saanen. Then I have a full sized regular nubian... not registered and a non registered Alpine doeling. I am purchasing a registered nubian doeling next (well she should be able to get registered) I want to go into mini's. I want some registered and some that aren't. That way I can appeal to those who want registered stock and those who just want mini's without the extra fees. I personally am not much for registered when I just wanted pets so I want to make some goats still affordable plus it allows me to keep and breed some of the goats I already have which I think will make fine kids.

Anyways, so as I said. I have a Registered Mini Alpine buck but I think I need to get a registered Nigerian Dwarf buck right? Breeding him to the Alpine and Nubian will create mini alpines and nubians. Now... if I breed the mini alpine to a regular Nubian- does that create Mini what? Or will the Mini Alpine be able to only breed with the Mini Alpine and Alpines? I do want to have two bucks so that I can avoid inbreeding and be able to breed the ND buck to this bucks offspring. I am creating a second pasture in the Spring and a few more shelters. I am so excited! I can't wait to get more into this!

I still have so much more to learn on goats. I will still be learning 5 years from now and maybe even 10 years. I have had chickens for 6 or so years and I am still learning there too. I sure love farming!

Anyways if anyone here has mini herds or can answer how the breedings work -- please answer my rambling questions LOL

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
I love Mini's! :) I don't know anything about breeding...but I love my Mini's! LOL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts