Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday I finally bought a cow!! She's not my first cow, but the first one I have bought! I paid 2000 for her. She is a holstein springer do April 20th. She has great genetics, her dam is a great producer. Also as a free bee there registering her, subscribing me to Holstein World, and subsribing to a few sire summaries! For no extra $$.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
You'd better be ready to buy a LOT of grain, make a LOT of cheese, and have a LOT of calcium gluconate on hand ready to treat milk fever.

Fact is, she's bred to produce enormous volumes of milk and need enormous amounts of supplementary feed to do it. If the feed flags, the production won't adjust quickly; and she'll run her bodily reserves of calcium down and tend to go into milk fever.

None of this is necessarily bad - a family can live well with a milk cow, maybe a goat to cover the gap when she's heavily pregnant, and chickens. Cheese is a good thing.

Another approach is a less heavily productive milk cow that produces better beef calves, and that's the way I'd go for a straight homestead cow, but it's not the only way. Just know what you're getting into.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Congrats on your new cow, sounds like she will be a great addition. Not to be to nosey, but you mentioned the price you paid, is that an average price for a Holstein? I understand from your post that she has very good breeding, but that does seem expensive, but I'm not up on Holstein prices.

Carol K

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
Congratulations!
I know it was very exciting when we bought our first batch of heifers. We actualy felt like we were finally on our way to being productive!!

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
Deleted because I missed the post about the fact you own a dairy. Hey, way to go then! Sounds like a fair price. Good luck. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts