My dream is about to come true

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by vegascowgirl, Oct 29, 2004.

1. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

In less than a week my family and I will no longer be city dwellers. We are finally all packed up and ready to move to Missouri. I am so excited I can hardly contain myself. I've hated Las Vegas since the day I moved here (about 14 years ago). Every year I would say.."I'm not going to be here next year!"..To my dismay, I always was. Now, however, I am finally getting out :dance: . I can't honestly say that I was a country girl befor moving here, but I was a small town girl...so Las Vegas was a bit too confining for me. And I won't even touch on the moral aspect (or lack there of) of this city.
    NOW, I get to be back in the area of the country that I love, with actual seasons, and polite people, and folks who understand that horses are going to crap like anything else that eats and sleeps. Where I can do with my property what I wish (without somebody telling me I can't have this fence or that animal).
    I get to go fishing without worrying about how much rocket fuel is in the water.
    I get to sleep at night, not worrying that one of the Nellis air force jets is going to crash into our home (we live right outside the base, and the planes take off right over our house). No fire/police sirens blairing every ten minutes or less. No billboards of nude women covered only by two dice, or a magic wand. No Graffitti being tagged onto every blank wall, home, storefront,etc. I'll actually be able to order a big mac in english. My little girl will be able to go to school and be taught by an english speaking teacher ( I had a friend who's child was held back a grade, only to find out that the teacher was teaching in her native language, spanish) My little girl will be able to run and play outside without worry of a whole bunch of cars, transients, and gangs. OOOOOH I could go on forever about why I'm sooooo happy about moving. I wish I were moving today....but at least it's only a week now.
    YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :haha: :D ;) :dance: :haha: :dance: :haha: :dance:

2. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Congratulations! It was 2 years ago last June, that my family and I left the Phoenix 'burbs for Idaho. We have never worked harder or been happier. It makes me happy to hear of other people following their dreams instead of staying put because its less scary or easier.

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Glad to hear it! Good for you! :D :D

4. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I am so happy for you! Missouri is a wonderful place to be planning your homesteading!

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Good for you!!! Congratulations!!!

I am so happy for you!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

All the best to you!

Pony!

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Sure feels good, doesn't it? I'm in a small town at the moment and trying to be patient, but want to get back to homesteading ASAP! You have a safe move!

7. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome to Missouri! We moved here 16 years ago and never looked back...found our place on the planet. What town will you be by? DEE

8. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

I hope you have a smooth trip out to MO with good weather all the way! We are considering MO also. How did you choose where in MO to move to?
    Jodi
    Best wishes to you and your family:)

9. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Wow, from Vegas to Missouri! Nice!

10. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

I grew up in Fortuna Calif (norther coast) then got married and moved to 29 Palms Calif. My husband was in the USMC and retired in 93. We moved to Mountain View Mo and we love Mo!! You will be gald you picked this state. As for jobs my husband had never had a problem finding work. The only problem people take about with jobs out here we find is work dose mean work. He has people comming into the pipe plant every month that only last 2 days to a week because it is hard work. Where about in the state will you be moving? Mountain View is south central. Above I-44 you get alot more snow!!!

11. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

What part of MO are you moving to? We are seeing more of the city happenings in Mo than what used to be. City people moving here are bringing it along.

The graffitti [sp?] is being put on hwy signs and bridges and other areas. Cost quite a bit to replace them. Some can be cleaned, depending on what was used to put it on with.

More burglary is taking place in the rural areas. In the little town I live near, I saw a person, that I had to take a double take at just the other day. They had body piericings [sp?] all other their face and stomach.They had tats and some odd clothes on that really made them stand out in this redneck country. Made me think of some of the stuff I see on TV that I think is just for show. I guess it is really happening.

This is sort of a layed back area where I live. Used to be called the sticks. It is growing more and more each day. Getting modern. You can travel about 20mi to the west of us and it is still fairly unpopulated. Although more populated, than what it was 10 yr ago.

You should see me in the big city. I have never been to Las Vegas. Would like to go. I can only imagine, my reaction.

12. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome to Missouri. I live in the S.W. corner near a town called Joplin. I just love the MO ozarks. I will say this though, some of the small towns in our area can be a bit "good ole' boy" and by that I mean that if you where not born in the town you will allways be an outsider. That does not mean that you will be treated bad, you just won't be treated as good as some of the others. But you one can usually find the "click" of all the other outsiders and y'all will get along fine. I hope that your town will not be that way. I can handel all of that though. I love our clean air, the smell of the dirt and the green in the Spring. Right now it feels a bit like Spring as we had a realy dry end of Summer and then we have had rain for the last three weeks or so and now everything is greening up again. I wish you all the best friend! If you are coming anywhere near Joplin, send me a PM if you would like to meet to say Howdy!!!
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

13. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

We'll be just about three miles out of Forsyth, which is on the southern end of MO. What made us choose MO? Good question, and a long story that I will try to shorten as best as possible. My extended family (grandparents, cousins, etc) live in S.Ohio. Last year My Mom lost her mother in September. The family traveled back there to take care of things. In November of the same year, my middle brother passed away suddenly. My Mom,Dad, Husband and older brother were the only ones at my brothers funeral, because nobody (in the extended family) could make it out here. My Mom was very depressed and decided she would like to move closer to our extended family.....but wouldn't leave my husband and I here for fear that something would happen to us or them with so many miles between us. I didn't want to move to Ohio (it's great, but something just wasn't there for me) or Indiana where my oldest brother lives....so, I compromised on MO. Indiana is a half days drive, Ohio a full days drive, so we could get there in a reasoably quick time in case of emergencies. Besides, I kind of like the central location...I'm a big rodeo fan and we'll be close to several large rodeos in OK,AR,MO,LA,and TX. I also enjoy the seasons there, four full seasons,but with relatively mild winters. I fell in love with MO a couple years ago when we visited in the fall. There's just so much history, in the people as well as the land...and well, I just knew it was the place for me.
    As far as being an outsider, I can handle that...I never really fit in around here either. As long as people are respectfull, I don't ask that they like me....maybe I can win 'em over though ;) . We are going to have just under 7 acres, and my mind is realing over all the possabilities. We'll of course have some chickens, a goat or two, can't have all that land without horses.....and possibly some miniature cattle or some rodeo bucking stock.
    There are already some raised beds for gardening as well.
    I know it will be hard work, but hard work is worth it when you are doing something you love.