My dogs want to eat our new pig, HELP!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Firethorn, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Firethorn

Firethorn Well-Known Member

We have a new pot belly pig. He is about 5 months old. He is house trained, sweet, a fairly neet eater, small (about 5 pds.) . But when we took him in the back yard our pry. pups wanted to eat it. So I assume. We never gave them the chance. The little guy was playing with our other dogs and any time he came near the to bruts they would nearly hang them selves trying to take hold. So we pined the pig and let them off the leash. they wear biteing at the fence like they could actualy eat through it.
    They are both young 10 and 11 nomths. What do I do? If I cant fix this the pig is going to be looking for a new home.
    By the way. The female did this when my sister brought over her chuawa (SP?). She has only been in our home a couple of weeks, but the male we have raised since 6 weeks.
    Mrs C.

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i keep pb pigs, but can't say i have a solution for your problem. best i can say is just keep them separated. where are your pyrs? are the guarding livestock? my pigs live separate from the goats and pyrs. they have a kennel and dog houses in the yard with the dogs. they get along just fine.

3. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Firethorn,
    Your Pyree's are doing exactly what they are bred to do ,, protect your property
    you need to take the pyree's away from there normal settings & introduce them to the new addition to the place, this will take some time & you will need to insure you are the alpha member of the pack to do this. if you personally are not the leader of the pack with your dogs, have the person who is do the training.
    After a few days of introductions & letting them spend more & more time with the pig they will learn the pig is suspose to be there. our pyree's take about 2 or 3 days before they know perfectly they are not to kill the intruder to there space.
    I would not train them to let your sisters dog in, this will teach them that any dog is allowed & that can be trouble in the long run for the other animals you have.
    Good Luck
    Rick

4. pjd

pjd Well-Known Member

My pyrs are 2 and 4 yrs. old and when we bring anything new to the property we have to introduce the new addition to them and ask them if it is alright. (haha) WE rub our hands all over whatever it is and then take it to the dogs and let them sniff it, tell them it is "mommy's new baby" and tell them to guard it. WE also praise them and give them a treat. It is a process but it works with mine. When I get a box of chicks I run my hand over the top of them, let the dogs sniff, and then into the brooder they go. The reason I do this is we had a muscovy duck show up at our house and we never touched him and our pyr never accepted this duck. He made him stay at the pond and would not let him near us. He didn't treat our others that way.

I don't know if it is coincidence, but our dogs run off/kill anything on the property that does not have our scent on it. I can give this example, my 16 yr old has a pet raccoon and our pyr does not touch it, he don't like it but he tolerates it. Any other raccoon dies.

5. Firethorn

Firethorn Well-Known Member

Well we will give it a couple of days. We are in the city. So everything is in the yard or the house. The pyr. in the yard, the pig in the house unless we tie the dogs to give him a little play time (actualy forage time). They have calmed down but they would still eat him as of yet.

6. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

When I introduce new animals in, I do what a lot of the people here said to do. But especially since your pig is so little maybe you can do what I've always done. Every night until they "get it" I bring everyone into the living room and I sit on the floor with the new one in my lap. I've rubbed my hands all over the new baby and then the dogs and cats smell my hands. They act up for the first few days, barking and going crazy; but it's always worked out eventually for me. This didn't work for my latest pig because she was fully grown when I got her. But by then the dogs were so used to the other pig, they don't even bother her. Plus she was quarantined for a while and they were able to smell and see her through double row of fencing (so they couldn't actually touch noses or come in physical contact in any way). So she wasn't such a novelty to them when she was finally released.