My Dogs are Missing-English Shepherd and Maltese-Illinois

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by savinggrace, Nov 15, 2005.

1. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

I am absolutely going 100 miles a minute trying to figure out my next plan of action. Stormy and Henry were home when my husband left at 9:30, left out in the fenced in yard. When I arrived home at 11:00 they were gone. I filed a report with the police, the county animal control, county highway department; and can't do anything more tonight.

Stormy is a 5.5 month old English Shepherd; black and white; lots of freckles on the legs and face. Stormy has a black collar on with his name tag, our address and telephone. Henry is a 3 yr old Maltese (today is his birthday actually) and was wearing no collar. Henry is microchipped. We live in N. Illinois 70 miles from Chicago; 1 mile from Wisconsin.

Neither dog wanders. We live along a very busy road; literally thousands of cars go by each day. The possibility of theft is not out of the question, and unfortunately is the most likely scenario in our minds. We also lost another dog 4 years ago under similar circumstances.

I will be posting photos very soon. I am not sure the best way to do so on this board; Snapfish has an option 'share with a friend' and you imput the email address. Would that work?

We are offering a $500.00 reward for their safe return.

Please keep your eyes open; wherever you are.

2. starwalker

starwalker Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about your dogs. It would break my heart. I can imagine how you feel. We once had a pure bred Boxer female stolen out of our locked gated back yard. Sounds like theft to me. Then the thief will wait for the reward to be posted and maybe bring them back to get the money. Or he already made a sale. :(

3. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. I will pray for a safe return of your fur babies. My exDH had let out dogs out to potty one day. He usually stood on the front porch and waited for them to finish and come back in. This day we went to answer the phone and all the dogs came back in. He didn't see little Sunshine and went back to the porch just in time to see a lady with her car door open trying to entice Sunny with a McDonald's hamburger. He called Sunny back and ran towards the car. The lady started trying to make up some lie and he picked up rocks and started hurling them at the car. The man driving sped off. I couldn't believe someone would try and steal a dog they know belongs to someone else. Don't they think the dog would miss it's family and vice versa. I will continue to pray for you.

4. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i am very sorry to hear of this. i do not mean to scare you but i fear the worst. there are many nasty folk who steal dogs to be used in dog fighting. what a pathetic "sport". many groups of people engage in gambling on these dog fights all over the country all the time. i have heard of them in towns near mine (pennsylvania). i cannot imagine the mind of a person that would do this to an animal.

your dogs were kept in a place where many people saw them over a long period of time. someone probably figured out that you were not home by the pattern.

when i was a child, many years ago, we had a large stupid plot hound stolen. he was a worthless coonhunter and killed lots of livestock (rabbits, geese chickens etc.) but we loved him. he was worthless to anyone else as a hunting dog, but he was large even for a plot hound. i fear he was stolen by someone like i mentioned. i can only wish you my best.

5. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

There's always the chance they found a little hole under your fence and decided to wander. Smelled some nasty fish... I'd still go out and look.
    Microchipping was also a smart move. If you find nothing tonight you may have more luck in the morning with the pound, etc.
    Good luck!

6. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I'm really sorry to hear that,I would be so upset if my dogs were lost :(
    You should definitely post signs up asap...include pictures of the dogs and mention the reward. Maybe even put up a big sign outside of your house? Hopefully,someone would find them and return them to you. If they were stolen,the promise of the reward may help to get them back,too.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers *hugs*

7. savinggrace

8. savinggrace

I should hope 1,000 would be more than someone could get for them without papers. Thanks again!

9. savinggrace

Thank you!

We are having a sign made; I want to see how diffacult it would be to have large photos of them done on it...someone suggested calling the radio stations, I am compiling a list of newspapers, to place ads in; we are going to do posters and flyers, distributed everywhere, including vets; dog groomers, ect.

This is positively devistating. We live along a very busy road; in town; our fence goes right up to the sidewalk. This is positively the last straw for me, I am absolutely insisting we move!

Because we live in town, and our property is the largest. We have the only open land; there are dense houses all around. So it's not a chance of 'they were lollying in the field' or a matter that we live so far from other houses! Stormy has a name tag with our address and telephone for goodness sakes!

Again, thank you for all your prayers of well wishes and their safe return!

10. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

My heart goes out to you. I know how terribly you must feel. But please, keep hoping.They might still show up, or have been taken in by someone who will later on report them to the shelter, vet, whatever. If Stormy has his name and phone number on his collar, someone may call.

Years ago we were walking in a rural area, and a dog joined us. No houses to be seen. Acted starved and scarfed down a share of our picnic. Very friendly. Had an ID of an address near where we lived, so we took him home with us and called the number and were rerouted to the dog's new home--30 miles away and about 50 yards from the park where we had been. :eek:

Keep hoping. Your fur family may still show up.

11. georgiaattitude

georgiaattitude Active Member

Saying a prayer for you and your pups. I know how I would feel if something like that happened to mine. Good luck.