Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 year old yellow lab, it's hunting season up here and I think he got into someone's kill. He's been trying to cough something out, day three now, spit out a little pile of bone when this first started which has me worried.

Several times an hour he tries to cough, gags, comes up with a clear liquid I'm thinking is from his lungs. I tried the Heimlich a couple days ago, he thought I wanted to play and we got nowhere. I've tried sticking my finger down his throat far as I can but can't feel anything.

His appetite's good and he's bouncy as usual other than this business,.

There is no vet here, one travels thru once a month but, of course he's been and gone. I'd be grateful for any ideas.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Ew, sounds like he has a little shard of bone stuck in his windpipe somewhere. All I would know to do is the vet. I'm sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to see if I can get hold of a vet in Juneau tomorrow, just hoping someone here had an idea. I've given him a chunk of the fat from a quart of moose meat, then later a pint of canned salmon, oil and all, then tried dry bread. My fear is that he's aspirated a shard into a lung, do you think that's possible? Seems that would be disastrous if he did, dang it!
And thanks for the comebacks

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I don't think he has YET. He would be in obvious severe pain if that were the case. What worries me is what if he coughs it loose and it goes into his lung instead of either going in his tummy or puking it up.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
Unless he would let you reach in and feel around, I'm afraid you'll need to find a vet. If you are lucky he has some bone stuck in the back of his mouth where you can reach it.

Sounds like he'll need to be sedated and have a vet remove whatever is bothering him. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
My mobile goat vet also treats LGDs and has several dogs of her own- no longer feeds bone d/t arriving too late at a ranch and rancher had let the poor dog go on too long with a stuck bone, the dog didnt make it....

·
Premium Member
10,412 Posts
If it were me, I'd see if I could get my fingers down that dog's throat, hoping to find the fragment, which is probably as you suspect, i.e. a bone. If I could not do that, then a trip to the vet for an X-ray would be a must!

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Coughing can also be a symptom of congestive heart failure, and it can start suddenly. I would talk to a vet as soon as possible.

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
Best bet for coughing would be that it's Bordatella...

Mon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts