My dog brought me a baby bunny....

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by luvrulz, Jul 4, 2005.

1. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

And I didn't know if I should applaud her or scold her! Actually she brought 2 but one didn't make it.....

This little guy didn't even have his eyes open and he's been taking a little lamb replacer, a drop at a time. Bought a small bottle at TSC yesterday and am slowly trying to get him to take it, but I did get him to take it from an eye dropper..... They're pretty stubborn to take to the bottle, aren't they? I am only giving him a tiny bit frequently, but how often should I try to feed him...? He seems like he's sleeping all the time...normal too??

Any advice is great! He's just the cutest thing and hopping and trying to get away from me when he sees me with the bottle..... TIA! :)

2. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

run a search online about raising orphan bunnies, I just did this a month ago, the prognosis isn't good but I wish you the best, let us know and perhaps someone will have more hopeful words of advice for you

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Protection instinct keeps the mother rabbit from the nest except for the one or two times a day she feeds the kits. She decreases the chances of leading a predator to the nest by doing this. This will make your work a lot easier. The kit should eat enough to make his tummy rounded but not tight. You'll need to gently rub his bottom to make him urinate and defecate until he's grown enough for this to become automatic.

Do you know anyone with a litter of rabbits? They're easily adoptable. When I had a commercial rabbitry I often moved kits from a large litter into a smaller litter. Rabbits can't count and don't know the difference. It's not essential that the kits be the same age but they should be close. You wouldn't want a newborn in with a litter of four week olds, for example.

Good luck!

4. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

Almost 3 days and so far, so good. He's feeding from the bottle and jumping around. Have changed his name from Hip Hop to Lucky! He got out of the box and went wandering and luckily, we found him before the dog did!

He seems to be doing excellent and eats well. He lets me know when he's had enough and it seems like 'everything' is working as it should! :eek: Will try to get a photo out here but he's looking great!

Thx for the help!
    Joellen

5. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Great job! Good for you!