My does story of three kids..and our almost disaster.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by kickingbird, Feb 12, 2005.

1. kickingbird

kickingbird Active Member

Our doe went into labor on tuesday, it was about 3:30 in the after- noon, her water broke we waited for about an hour before she actually started pushing.. she stiffened up her legs and out came kid number one.. we cleaned out his mouth and cut the ambilical cord dipped it in iodine and laid it next to mamma she licked the buckling clean.
    then about ten more minutes passed and here comes buckling number two.. we thought that was it, we cleaned him up to and set him next to mamma, we thought that was it and went in and ate some pizza in celebration of our birth.. i went back outside to check on mamma, and oh my gosh there was another... i put some gloves on as soon as possible and looked very closely and there was a breech one hoof and a head, i was very nervous and tried to gently push the kid back in but he was not going back in, i tried to get my fingers in there to reach under the leg to pull it into possition but that to didnt work, i guess she had pushed him to far out, anyhow i acidently broke the sack therefor he was breathing fresh air and could not go back in or he would have drowned or sufficated.. i didnt have an option but to pull out the kid i grabed it by the head and around the chest area to releive pressure from me pulling on his head and so ever lightly pulled it was very scary to do this in fear of snapping or dislocationg his head or neck. thats why i grabed his chest area. against all the rules i pulled, mamma cried and buckling number three came out...he was cleaned up and walking around with his two bothers just minutes after the near disaster.. i do again have to thanks everyone here for all of there advice though this whole prosess it helped me be more aware of things that can happen durring the birthing prosess...

thanks,
    Jarred
    aka "kickingbird"

2. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Great Job.

JAS...........that's what you have to do next time...no waiting. If you have a problem....Contact Kickingbird........the old pro!!! ;)

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

good job, getting them all here, safe and sound. great , and congrats.

4. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Great job...note to self...must learn not to panic. (that is exactly what happened to my doe except the near disaster was the second born) :)

5. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I had the same thing happen to me only a head was sticking out crying. (Had a two headed goat for a little while. Had a camera too but forgot to take a picture of it) One thing I did different was I rubbed the udder to get a contraction before pulling. Good job!