My doe who delivered after birth

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Emily Anne, May 21, 2005.

1. Emily Anne

Emily Anne Active Member

I'm sorry for not following up on this. She delivered the after birth late at night and the next day I stuck my hand up there and found a kid with both legs behind her and her head wrong. I managed to get one leg straight and then the head and tried to pull that but it would not come out. So my little 11-year-old brother stuck his hand up there and found the other hoof that I could not get with my big hands and we tried pulling. One of the legs, the one I had out first, then pulled off which was scary and discusting. My Mother (who had been gone) then thought of useing a new shoe lace and my brother got it around the head, using that to pull she finally came out, a beautiful doe kid. I should of checked her earlier, she often has trouble with kidding, but nothing like this! After calling a half a dozen people and sticking my hand in her half a dozen people, I NEVER want to do that again, it took hours!
    The doe is doing fine now, she did not eat for two days but I gave her penicilin (she does not like shots) and goat drench along with some electrolites.

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Good job!!!
    Good teamwork!

Glad things worked out!

3. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I'm glad she's doing okay. You did a great job. Don't beat yourself up over not checking her sooner. You're only human and we all make mistakes. It's how you learn.