Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I am glad to read in another post my goats are not the only ones to get cought in very wierd places. I am glad the other goat was rescued, unfortunatly mine wasn't so lucky. :Bawling:

I found one of my best goats caught in some hog panels. these are the smaller squares that they are not to be caught in. yeah right!! I ran for the barn and the bolt cutters only to find them missing. the next county could have heard my curses. I call DH and scream at him to tell me where they are and find out they are in our farm truck that is in the repair shop. Lot of good that does me. I tried regular fiencing pliers and a hack saw with no luck. I broke the hack saw tring to get throught the metal.

I tried to twist the fencing off her horns with no luck. I really have no idea how in the world she did it. Shifting her caused her to much stress and heat stroke overcame her. I sent my son for water to cool her off, but I was just too late all the way around. If I had found her an hour earlier it might have been different.

I know the dangers of wire and twine and have many knives and fencing pliers around but we only had one set of bolt cutters. They do no good 5 miles away. :Bawling: there are very few perfect fences out there for goats, but I thought the panels were the best shot. I understand why some dehorn but that has not been an option for us. I am just amazed at how goats can get into some of the strangest positions, to their own perril. I think they could hurt themselves in a padded cell.

I am hartsick and mad at everything, but mainly me. I didn't think the grass was that high but it hid this goat almost completly from view. A true head count is the only way to see if everyone is counted for. Be extra carefull as a goat in full sun can get into distress quickly. I will an another pair of bolt cutters to the list. Hope everyone is having a better day. My best goat is dead and my husband is shrewed at, I have a lot to say "sorry" for. I am doing a real great job today :Bawling: . Hope it doesen't get any worse.

·
Premium Member
15,787 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you lost her. There really isn't any way to make a farm 100% safe for an animal so don't beat yourself up over this.

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
I'm so sorry. I have found myself in similar situations. I have lost horned goats to such things. I had one with scurs that I could not get out and it was so very hot. I just ran the water hose over his back and talked to him for hours. Eventually, he got himself out. Now everything is disbudded, even Boers. I know that is not an option for some but my disbudding iron is my favorite peice of goat equipment and my two goats with scurs will have them removed this winter. So sorry about your goat, I know how you felt. Really.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I am so sorry. :-(
Go easy on yourself. I had a similar situation, with not one but two stuck goats (the only horned ones we have, of course). And they were very pregnant. Called DH in a panic asking where the freakin' hack saw was. I was lucky it wasn't a hot day.

There's just no way you can be prepared for every possible thing.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,435 Posts
OkieMom, I'm so sorry for your loss. There's just no way you can be everywhere at once, and you almost have to be, when you have animals.

You are right. There are very few perfect fences out there for goats, and after a lot of thought, you did the very best you could for your goats for fencing.

Please don't be so hard on yourself.

NeHi

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm sorry. Like nehimama said, you can't be everywhere at once. The grass doesn't look greener on the other side. In fact it is mowed but they still try for it.
It is truly amazing. The goat forces its head through a hole that it should not even fit through, horns or scurs and all, and then when you try to get them out the goofy goat pushes into the hole with more force :mad: when you try to twist and pull them out. As if it wasn't hard enough :shrug:
I have another nice bruise from one with horns raming through the crowd with me in the middle to get to what it thought was some treat. I can't avoid getting my toe stepped on - serves me right wearing the wrong shoes in the barn. But I won't be dealing with horns much longer. They gotta go from my little farm!
Wonder if I can just shove them in the fence to hold them when I 'do the deed'. :rolleyes: :p

Pam

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
Okiemom, I'm so sorry. I had a wether get his head stuck once, and he was disbudded! Man when you hear that distress call, it scares ya. I had bolt cutters, but I panic soo bad when serious stuff happens. I'm feeling really bad for you (((hug)))

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. You are correct that a full head count is the way to go, especially if your goats go out of sight during the day. I do one each evening.

Please look at the post titled "StickHead." It may help, for the future.

·
Registered
946 Posts
So sorry for your loss.

My feeling is, they are able to get through, they can get back out and will twist until I get it right. Haven't had to cut a fence yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts