My doe is pulling out all of her chest and front leg hair

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by ekjns, Feb 5, 2004.

1. ekjns

ekjns Well-Known Member

Question?

My doe is the one who had two die and one sole survivor....we are just practicing at this and would like to raise some rabbits for meat for our own consumption as of yet we have had no luck except this one bunny. Now my doe is pulling out all of her front hair and looks horrible what is this all about? She did not do this the last time she had babies...

Any advice is appreciated.

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Are you sure she's not pregnant and getting ready to kindle?

3. gefozarks

gefozarks Well-Known Member

it is normal for does to pull hair to make a nest if she didn't the last time you are very lucky if any of the kits survived. Also if the last time she did kindle if it was the first time she had kindled she might not have pulled hair as sometimes first time does don't quite get it alright.

4. JB

JB Member

Sounds like you have a few problems but did the doe have one surviror and then pulled hair? What kind of rabbits? A litter of 3 is a little unusual; how old is the doe? Do you use nest boxes?
    John
    Bush's Bunnies

5. ekjns

ekjns Well-Known Member

John,
    mykeyboard
    ist
    not
    working
    ihwilliwritenyoukbacklater

thanks,
    karen

TE=JB]Sounds like you have a few problems but did the doe have one surviror and then pulled hair? What kind of rabbits? A litter of 3 is a little unusual; how old is the doe? Do you use nest boxes?
    John
    Bush's Bunnies[/QUOTE]

6. ekjns

ekjns Well-Known Member

Yes John my doe had two babies die and one survive and she started pulling out all of her hair. Her one baby is thriving and her hair is growing in now. My doe is about 5 years old is that too old to breed her? Yes we use a nice heated nest box for her litter. Do you know where we could find some New Zealand does or do we need to be looking locally. My husband thinks that she is a flemish giant or something but I think she is a mutt. I actually think both of our bunnies are mutts that we are breeding.

~Karen