My doe is bloating-- PLEASE Advise

Discussion in 'Goats' started by wardarden, Mar 24, 2006.

1. wardarden

wardarden Well-Known Member

I have a 4 y.o. doe who was obviously bloating when I got home from work at 5:00. I called the lady I bought her from and she said to give her 1 cup of veg. oil and get 16ga needle and stick in her gut to release gas. We got about 1 cup of oil down her, alot on me and her. I put about 1 TBS of baking soda in oil. Also we slipped her a GASX (simethicone) pill that I had in house. I went to TSC and got needle. They did not carry anything for bloat though. I picked up a home vet book while they looked for bloat drench. Book advised against sticking needle in gut. Said can let gut juice in peritonium <sp?> Got home and she looked the same. Called vet. Vets around here do not know about goats, She said DO NOT stick needle in gut, can cause peritinoum infection. She said to give more oil and not much more she can do. She is kindof lethargic, hanging head and seems to be kindof wanting to sleep on her feet. Not trying to lay down. She has started shivering some, I put two fleece blankets on her.... going back to check on her now.... anybody have advice PLEASE!

2. flannelberry

flannelberry Pure mischief

Treatment depends on what kind of bloat you have. I'm guessing there's left flank involvement?

Read this site - and tx based on type of bloat.

http://kinne.net/bloat.htm

3. flannelberry

Sorry - forgot to add - good luck. My hopes are with you.

4. wardarden

Yes, that is the first thing I noticed is that it looked like her left flank was blown up like a balloon.

5. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    Keep her moving, walk her, don't let her lay down. Our goats got into the pig feed once and were very bloated. We lost one before we knew what hit us, but walked the other one for over an hour, pushed her when she wouldn't move and she lived. Good Luck.

6. lazybee

lazybee Active Member

You are doing exactly what we have done- i would add a bit more baking soda to the oil however. Good advice- keep her moving. My goat "mentor" advised once that we should give a shot of penicillen but i have never done that. We did the oil and baking soda and kept them moving. Good luck.

7. flannelberry

If it's not frothy you may have to try tubing.

That site has step by step instructions. It won't work for frothy because of the froth.

8. flannelberry

Here a quick excerpt for dealing with frothy bloat
    If you have a goat full of grain, I suggest giving Milk of Magnesia. This helps stimulate the gut and lower the pH balance of the rumen be more alkaline. DiGel or powdered Tide laundry detergent (one tablespoon of Tide powder mixed with maybe 60 cc of water) will eliminate the froth and allow the goat to belch. Then put the goat on dry, coarse hay to stimulate the rumen to contract. After giving the medication it helps to firmly massage the rumen to help mix the treatment with the rumen contents. Walking the goat may also aid in mixing the medication. After walking for a while, stand the goat "uphill," by elevating its front end to allow the expulsion of gas through belching.

Some veterinarians keep simethecone preparations that are very effective in dissipating froth but Milk of Magnesia, DiGel or powdered Tide work just fine. A product called Therabloat can be given orally or directly through injection into the rumen and is very effective in dissipating frothy bloat (3 cc mixed with about 30 cc water and shake well). A handful of bicarbonate of soda can also help disperse the gas.

9. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

You've gotten the oil and baking soda into her. Like others have said, keep her moving. In addition, I'd prop her feet up on a hay bale or something, get a piece of rope in her back teeth so she chews, and give her a deep belly massage. Really rub into that rumen. (this will be hard to do at first) Once she starts burping you'll know it's working.

I'd cut her back to plain old grass hay for a couple of days so her gut can get back to normal.

10. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I've heard Phayzime is good for bloat. Also mineral oil and baking soda. I wish you the best with your doe. I returned home from work tonite to find that one of my does had died of bloat. She must have gone pretty fast because DH didn't notice anything when he fed in the late afternoon. I wish I would have been home to save her. She had 2 little 12 day old babies on her. They are taking the bottle really well.

11. flannelberry

What happened? Did she make it?

12. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

wardarden,
    How did the goat do? Has she recovered? We had a doe bloat two years ago after eating potatoes, and taking a tumble(ever see a goat summersault?--scary) the same afternoon. We did the baking soda and Milk of Magnesia. We also kept her moving( or she'd stand hunched in a corner), and made her stand half up on the milkstand. She did finally let out a few big belches, but it was a few days before she really acted herself again. Don't be too quick to grain after an episode of bloat, let her eat hay for a bit, and give her some probios/yogurt to get things in her belly back to normal.

13. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

The only case of bloat I had was a doe who got into some chicken feed. She was howling in pain. I gave her mineral oil and walked her around almost all night. It took her a good 2-3 days to recover but she was fine. Keep 'em moving! PS: That needle thing is done with sheep, but wouldn't try it with goats, especially if you don't know what you're doing!

14. wardarden

Hey Guys,

Nita (short for Bonita) has made it throught the night. I ended up giving her about 2 C of oil in all, walking her around in the dark, cold night. How come they can't do this when the weather is warm! I would walk her some and put her front feet up on a rock and rub her left belly till she burped and then walk some more. I would go back in the house for about an hour then go do this again. She was shivering so she wore two of my fleece blankets all night. This morning when I woke about 7:00 am and walked in the living room my hubby was sitting there eating his breakfast and said "you don't look so good, what's wrong with you" I wanted to say DUH!! I have called everywhere in town for a C&D Anti-toxin shot this morning. To prevent her from developing enterotoxemia. I called Hoegger who will ship it overnight to me so I should have it first of the week. WHEW! I was scared. How soon should let her have grain again? BTW: Thank you so very much for your feedback, in the cold dark night, I didn't feel so alone..

15. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I'd give her a few days on grass hay, and then start easing her onto grain slowly, like she'd never had it before.

A little Probios wouldn't hurt, either. How's her rumen activity? If there's a movement every 30 seconds or so, I wouldn't worry about her rumen, but if it's slow or quiet, you might want to steal a cud from another goat and make her eat it to help repopulate the good bacteria in her rumen. She'll hate it, but it's effective. Probios is nice, but I don't think it really has the range of flora that exists in a healthy rumen.

16. wardarden

I do have some ProBios I was going to give her today. Also saw that Milk of Mag. will help to move that nasty funk on out of her system and the lady at Hoegger suggested maybe a VitB12 12cc SQ. I was going to co-op in a few to get their TheraBloat to have on hand and will stop by Walgreens to pick up Milk of Mag. Thought about drenching her with the Milk of Mag and probios mixed in. What do you think about the B12? Seems like I have seen someone on list also mention giving their goats Tums as treats. What does this do? Is it the same as leaving out baking soda? Would that be a good thing for me to start doing?

Right now I just love ya'll so much! :rolleyes: :bow:

17. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I'd keep her off the grain for a couple days at least. Keep an eye on her to make sure her gut is working properly. When you do get her back on the grain, start that very slowly - just a handful at first and keep an eye on her.

I think getting into trouble at convenient times is against the Goat Rule Book. They only get out into the road when you're dressed for a meeting in a skirt and high heels. They only get stuck in trees when you're wearing a nightgown. And so on...

18. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

B-complex will help get that rumen going as well.