My doe is bagging up

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I have a Nubian doe that I had bred in the last few weeks of January...according to my best calculations, she is at about Day 157 to 159 of the latest date she could have been bred.
    We started looking over 2 weeks ago.
    Her butt is pooched up, and her belly is big, but I was beginning to think we were mistaken and she wasn't going to have any babies.
    We did everything we were supposed to do for her and the kidding stall is READY!

Today, I figured I'd take another look at her butt, and it was still all pooched up like a drawstring bag...and then, I noticed her bag! It is bigger! Yay! So tonight she will sleep in the kidding stall.

She is a little headstrong, and I don't know if she will stay in there w/o a fuss. But so be it.

She is a first timer, and so am I. I did have the ND doe have triplets, but she had already had all three when I found her. All I had to do was dry them off, dip their cords, and give her a bucket of warm molasses water.

Woohoo!

Say a prayer for us, please!

2. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

oops... never mind

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I sent a prayer your way..let us know how it goes!

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

She is still her feisty, pushy, queen of the herd self. Hogging the hay, hogging the grain, leaping on the spools...

Yet, it must be soon...

The suspense is killing me.

I better take a nap in case she needs me tonight...

5. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Okay, we tried to put her in the kidding stall last night, and she wasn't having any.
    We went in the house, and if goats could shriek, that's what you would say she was doing.
    She was tearing up so bad I was afraid she would knock the door of its hinges and crush an unsuspecting or nosy goat on the other side. So we let her out.

If she has them in the midst of the herd, so be it.

The ND was fine about being in there, but she has had babies before.

6. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

maybe you can find one little friend to put in with her.

7. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

I think if you are going to be around and checking on her, I would put a friend in with her until she is contracting. Just to make her feel better.

I had 2 does together the whole time one kidded for the first time. The only problem I ran into is after the babies were born, the mom wanted her space with her babies. And she in the other doe butted a lot. In fact, the mom even would accidentally step on her own baby during these arguments. But the other doe was cool during the delivery and i think she even brought comfort during the prelabor and labor...

8. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I suppose I could give that a try...the only does she is really friendly with are my other 2 pregnant does. Maybe I could just expand the stall to go across the back end of the barn the way I had it when I was bottle raising the 10 diary babies...

She was my third goat. I got her when she was about 5 or 6 months old, and she never really warmed up to me the way my first 2 goats did. Those are the other 2 pg ones. But the three of them are the bosses and they don't push each other around, they had a sort of clique, like popular sorority girls do.

It's a thought. Is it normal for the bag to come and go? It gets about fist sized, viewed from behind and then by midday shrinks a lot. Then I'll think I was crazy, and she's not having babies, and then it will be fist-sized again.
    This morning it looked like there was a very small amount of mucous on her butt.

This is crazy-making, isn't it?

9. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

Well, I have to say that I was staring at my pregnant doe's udder and belly/sides for so long that I was questioning all of it.... I even mentioned to my dh that it could be that she wasn't even pregnant. As if on cue, she started yelling. And yelling and yelling. She was about a week early so I didn't pay too much mind. Plus I kept reading on these boards how they can keep you waiting for weeks... The next day she had a just a little mucus and was laying down and then the next thing you know...babies!

Good luck!

Hope it happens soon....
    Jennifer