My Desk

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Ninn, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Recently, I heard a rumor that underneath my computer and that monstrous pile of paper, there was actually a desk. This morning, I decided to find out. After an hour of throwing out old papers to be shredded and composted, sorting and filing bills and receipts and putting away cd-roms; I found the following:

4 stuffed animals-a hippo, a jubjub and 2 hello kitties (all mine, btw)
    3 boxes of baby picture slides (also mine-looking for a projector)
    6 spiral notebooks in various stages of use
    1 accordion file for homeschooling (thought i lost it and bought another last week)
    1 set of manuals for my new furnace, which had NOT been filed like I thought
    20 empty jewel cases for cd's
    my hand lotion
    the chart for a cross stitch kit my daughter is working on
    my stapler
    the screwdrivers and pliers for working on my computer
    more candy and cookie wrappers than I care to count (this is a public computer, I am NOT eating all that.......lol)
    My printer!
    1 candle in a jar
    1 pencil cup with a million pens and markers in it (made by DS age 18 when he was 6)
    1 hammer
    1 staple gun
    1 basket with remote controls for the living room tv
    1 cd case(holds 128)
    1 family contact radio for camping (how it got here i will never know)
    2 boxes of floppy disks for schooling
    1 basket of pix for my geneaology project
    1 half full beer can........don't ask, don't ask

I also found that there were a few things underneath that had gotten mislaid or just plain kicked under there:

1 bag of multicolored crepe paper streamers for easter?
    1 large bag of poly fiber fill stuffing (i was wondering where that went)
    3 keyboards
    1 sound card, in static bag, with software
    8 bars of stick memory that do not fit my computer
    1spare monitor and tower (meant to be for DGD if DD ever comes for it)
    I box containing my genealogy research (so far behind......)
    I file box for homeschooling (i was wondering where that went......)
    1 pair of combat boots left at home to be re-soled
    1 briefcase ( i was...........)

Just in case you are wondering how that all fits under there, my desk is made from an 8 foot long Bi-fold door supported by 2 filing cabinets. When it is clean and tidy, which never lasts long, 2 full computer setups will fit on it, with ample space for 2 users.

I wonder how long I can keep it clean this time? It seems that any flat spot in my house automatically becomes a drop off spot for whatever people can't find a home for. This is definitely a flylady "hot spot". Daily fire prevention in this spot is hard, but necessary.

Not bad for an hour's work.

2. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

:p

Just for kicks and giggles, I took a quick look around my own desk, and here is what I found that some people might not consider office essentials:

1) a few packets of soy sauce left over from a takeout lunch I bought probably three years ago. Hey, you never know when it might come in handy.

2) probably 20 different hairbands, elastics and barrettes. I have long hair and it makes me INSANE when it starts getting in my way, so I need to make sure I can get rid of it when I need to.

3) around 20 accumulated egg cartons people keep bringing in for me because they know I have chickens. I WISH my chickens laid this much.

4) an iPod Mini that froze solid when I stupid took it backpacking in New Hampshire :rolleyes: , and which I cannot bring myself to throw away, even though I know it is as dead as dead can be.

5) a roll of silver gift ribbon. Why someone would need gift ribbon but no wrapping paper? That I do not know.

6) a two-inch-thick file of vacation brochures and itineraries that I can look through if work starts to annoy me. :)

3. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

My desk has been recently cleaned so I cannot participate as well you two. Things are starting to pile up again - and why am I saving a drawer full of empty CD cases? :shrug:
    Still my kitchen table starts to look like Ninn's desk by the end of the week; especially since the gardening and horse catalogs are coming 5 -6 at a time everyday. :rolleyes:

4. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

BOY! Do I FEEL BETTER NOW!
    I thought I was the only person on Earth that has a messy computer desk!
    (I don't feel so inadequate now....)
    Just glancing at the desk, I SEE these things (most stuff is "buried"):
    digital camera, blood-pressure monitor, book on organic plant protection, hand-held calculator, pack of cigs, x-tra computer mouse, x-tra reading glasses, 2 pocket knives, hard candy, pens, pencils, clothes pin?, assorted unconnected pc cables, 1/2 roll of toilet paper (for blowing my nose), and 3 things that I have no idea what they are.............
    Don't want to spend an hour cleaning it today (would probably take 3 hours). (Why put something off until tomorrow, when you can put it off until "day-after-tomorrow"? Besides, it's a nice day outside and I have some things I NEED to do outdoors!!!!)

Ha-Ha!
    -Bruce-