My deer season, deer pics

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by boonieman, Nov 21, 2006.

1. boonieman

boonieman Well-Known Member

Well, I had to settle for a smallish 5-pointer, 120 pounds dressed. I hunted for 2 1/2 days before even seeing a deer and I needed some meat so I had decided I'd take one for meat vs antlers this year. However, my neighbor got one just down the road from me out of a honeysuckle thicket. I drive by there all the time, even at night, and had never seen this buck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

They both look like trophies to me. And yours will probably taste better! Congrats!

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Congrats on the Deer.

big rockpile

4. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

Hey BIg Rockpile,

I don't know, but how do horns taste anyway? I bet your deer tastes better than his.

Meat is a good thing, horns are to brag about. I'll take good meat anyday.

5. boonieman

boonieman Well-Known Member

"Hey BIg Rockpile,
    I don't know, but how do horns taste anyway? I bet your deer tastes better than his. Meat is a good thing, horns are to brag about. I'll take good meat anyday."

No doubt about it, logically the meat from a doe or young buck is the best, and for meat that's what I usually try to get. I would be lying though if I said the sight of a really nice buck doesn't still get me excited. Also, in the years I dont manage to get a good buck, I always say "this deer is a LOT better eating than a big ole nasty buck". :rock:

6. Congrats on the deer to you and your neighbor. With proper aging you can make ole Mossy Horns taste like a yearling. I aged a big ole buck for about 16 days in a cooler and he turned out to be one of the tenderist deer I've ever eaten. But for the common Joe who doesn't have a big cooler to put his deer in, the little buck will be a lot better eating.