Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone gave me some material and there was 6 squares of embroidered roses in with it (each square was a different color). I decided to make a quilt with them.

And I'm now in the middle of quilting a design in the blank squares:

This is going to take me a long time, because I'm still a beginner, but it's been fun so far.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
that's so beautiful. Looks as if you have a good sewing set up for the quilt.

And those embroidery squares remind me of when all embroidery was HAND embroidery and not the nifty new embroidery machines.

Angie

·
notenoughtime
540 Posts
That quilt is so pretty and it does look like the quilts from days ago with the embroidery. I am curious if you like your pvc quilt frame? I have seen them before but since I don't quilt never have invested in one. My grandma had the old wood kind that had clamps at the corners. The pvc looks more compact and takes up less room.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awww thank you for the encouragement - I can use it! Those roses were hand embroidered. There are a lot of ladies in this community that do that all the time (they call it their "fancy work").

The quilt group I belong to had that PVC quilting stand donated to them (one gripper clip is missing tho) and I loved it so much, I searched until I found one online. That way I don't have to keep "borrowing" theirs all the time. They're great if you don't have much space in the house for regular quilt frames. The quilting group uses boards, clamps and chairs for their quilt frame - that way we can work on any size quilt we need to... with us all sitting around sewing on it.

If any of you ever want to see some of the quilts our group has put together, let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Awww thank you for the encouragement - I can use it! Those roses were hand embroidered. There are a lot of ladies in this community that do that all the time (they call it their "fancy work").

The quilt group I belong to had that PVC quilting stand donated to them (one gripper clip is missing tho) and I loved it so much, I searched until I found one online. That way I don't have to keep "borrowing" theirs all the time. They're great if you don't have much space in the house for regular quilt frames. The quilting group uses boards, clamps and chairs for their quilt frame - that way we can work on any size quilt we need to... with us all sitting around sewing on it.

If any of you ever want to see some of the quilts our group has put together, let me know.
You didn't think that offer would go by untaken, did you? LOL. Of course I'd love to see the quilts, and I'm sure others would too - does anybody get tired at looking at these beautiful things? I think it's very neat that you sit around "quilting bee style" - I'd love to find a group like that! I'm sure I'd learn a lot more than I have on my own, and I'm sure I'd love the atmosphere!

I also love the quilt you are working on. I really like hand embroidery, and especially needle turn applique. I just love it. And I am in great awe of you hand quilting - I have one hand quilting project in process, uh, for about 3 years! I never seem to have enough time to have good "runs" on it for any length of time, and it ends up getting put away until the next time I get it out. It is rather large item though, maybe I should try something smaller so I don't have to put it so "away" when I've not got time to work on it.

Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This "rose" quilt is a queen sized quilt. I tacked around it with some pink thread to keep everything in place which was more work but since I'm still kind of new at hand quilting (about a year now), I thought this would be wise.

I will start a new thread with pictures of the quilts our group has made.

·
Island of Blueb
1,007 Posts
The blocks are a treasure and your project is very lovely!

I like to find these old pieces of, as was said, "fancy work." Ever wonder who spent hours with it on their lap, working and dreaming, maybe shedding a few tears... maybe sharing a few laughs and secrets over a cup of tea...

I have an ancient crocheted potholder that is the Norwegian flag, precious, even though it is so old it is falling apart.

Also, a set of hand-embroidered quilt blocks, each one with the name of a state of the USA and its state flower. Only missing a couple blocks and I have the pattern for them.

Sorry for T/J.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys are great at encouraging a person. Yes CJ, I intend to hand quilt it all. I have to decide what I want to do in the corners of each square and what design for the strips and borders.

I wanted to make sure I had a quilt to work on thru the winter months in case I was stranded due to bad weather (that makes me crazy!). But in November I found out I had to have eye surgery and haven't been able to do anything since then. My vision's improved and I'm starting to get the 'itch' again so it must be time to start working on it some more.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I love your quilt..... I found some blocks a thrift store white/blue, then someone gave me fabric to match the blue. I traced the design on the blue and then quilted. I love embroidy.

I see you use a q-snap. I love mine. You can get parts from them. They are located in Parsons, Tn. Easy to put up and take down. You are a user of pins as well. I guess I use the lazy way. But it gets the job done..

Love your quilt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts