Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How cool! Been doing some surfing after watching the one holding onto the pincers of the other and just hanging out there for a while and sure enough, they're mating! How cool! What a day! This is infinitely less stinky than the tripe! I got a few bad pics but this one from another page shows it better:

http://www.crayfishworld.com/breeding.htm

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
Have you OFA'd and CERF the parents and considered you may need to find homes for like 1000 babies?......lol

I never knew crayfish bred like that, weird. I used to catch little tiny ones when I was a kid and they were actually quite cute. I remember catching adults with eggs under their tails too.

Are these pets? or are the going to be dinner?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
TOO COOL!!
We had Turtles and thought one was trying to climb out of the box by stepping on the other..NOT. They were mating. I was kinda amazed.
Do you have more..or just the two?

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
When I was a kid my grandmother found one in the road. One of the great big monster ones, y'know? We put her in a lidded bowl of water until we could take her to the pond the next morning. Woke up to umpty-million craybabies.
Congratulations, lol. Whatcha gonna do with all those babies?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No OFA or CERF! That's ok though since we plan to keep all the offspring. :D As far as I KNOW, there are 4 crayfish in the tank now (130 gal). One we had never seen until this week though so there may be others that I don't know about. I had one that we'd had for years that died last year. It was 7" long from claw to tail. The tank has 2 turtles, crayfish, snails, piles of guppies and assorted greenery. Either it's a pretty balanced environment or everything is pretty hardy because they all just reproduce and grow like crazy. We did add crayfish this year after the big one died because I wanted to be sure they had some in there. They ate a lot of those that we added so I suspect that a bunch of these young ones will get eaten at some point. I need to catch some guppies and give the turtles a better shot at them. The male is quick enough that he seems to eat one just about every day (that we see). The female isn't quite so quick though! I usually catch some and put them in a shallow dish for her. Spoiled brats!

Here's the big one that we lost this summer:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts