My cows were bred today!!!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by willow_girl, Oct 13, 2004.

1. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Well, today was the culmination of nearly a month-long process to hopefully knock up my Holsteins, Twister and Christine! :D

It started with a vet check, which determined Teeny was healthy, but Twister had a cystic ovary. So I had to inject her with 2cc Ovacyst to hopefully clear it up. I vaccinated them against every disease known to the bovine world at the same time.

A week and a half later, I started the Ovsynch cycle of hormone injections to bring them into heat simultaneously so they could be bred A.I. on the same day. The cycle starts with another 2cc injection of Ovacyst for both cows. A week later, they received 5cc Prostamate, followed by another 2cc of Ovacyst 2 days later (today). (Mind you, I was giving all these shots at 4 a.m. in order to make the timing at the end work out-- what fun! )

By the final shot (sixth for Twist, fifth for Teeny) they had become VERY wary of me, especially when I'm carrying a hypodermic!

Breeding is supposed to take place 12-16 hours after the last shot, and my boss showed up this afternoon to do the dirty deed!

He used Holstein semen on Twister, since she is a registered cow, and I want to be able to register her calf if it's a heifer! (Hey, never hurts to be optimistic!)

We conducted a little experiment with Teeny. He AI'ed her with Jersey semen, then had *me* AI her with Holstein! It was my first shot at doing this, and all I can say is -- "The book makes it look so easy!!!!"

When I thought I had everything lined up, I'd pull my arm out of her rectum, and my boss would stick his in and check. The first time, I wasn't in far enough. The second time, I went in TOO far, clear into the horn! Whoops! (My ever-helpful husband, the smart@$$, commented, "I thought I saw something coming out of her mouth!" :rolleyes: )

But, anyway, between us we got the job done. If her calf looks Jersey, we'll know Mark got her; if it looks all Holstein, I got her, and if it looks half Angus, and arrives 21 days later than expected, we both missed the mark and the neighbor's bull got her!

Well, now comes the hard part -- sitting back waiting to see if they both settle! Keep your fingers crossed, OK? :)

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If you get good at that you can start a new career. Have the boss let you knock up his cows until you get it down pat. Is that all your hubby had to say???

3. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

He's a man of few words, Uncle Will! :haha:

4. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Congrats, Willow!!

I wonder if there is any truth to the old wives tale that adding apple cider vinegar in the preceeding 30 days before AI'ing or being with a bull is more likely to produce heifer calves.

5. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

No big deal. Just be patient and let nature take its course.
    I am woundering about the fuss with the hormones and not using natural cycles
    I gues it is just intervention for timing.
    Remember as I said concerning the wine making - patient's paitent's patient's
    You must be a young person.
    I have AI'ed 30,000 cows in my presiously short career as AI tech. before I moved on to the current career.
    I was able to preg determine at 5wks with 90+0/0 accuracy. Al it takes is practice and patients. Practical experience is helpful.
    Reach a cow for examination when ever the opportunity presents.
    Need any other tips?

6. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

NOW you tell me! :haha:

Yes Doc, the shots were merely to synchronize their cycles so my boss could breed them at the same time. He lives about 25 miles away, I did not want to make too many demands on his time or patience! :)

FWIW, the bulls used on Christine were Beretta (Jersey) and Shaman (Holstein). Link was used on Twist. I let my boss pick out the bulls since he knows these girls, and besides he donated it to the cause, so I wasn't about to be choosy! :p

I must say, the girls have an ... expectant ... look about themselves today! ;)

7. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

P.S. Young?!?!?!?! I'll be 38 on Oct. 19. :waa:

Young -- I WISH! :D

8. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Willow!!! May they all be heifers!!

9. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Yes young at heart.
    And since I"m ten days older than dirt, I"m you are certainly younger than I am.

Change of subject.
    Did any one tell you that the cervix of a bovine usually consist of 3 palapable rings of cartlidage that you can feel when doing AI or preg testing?
    Did anyone explain how to palpate the broad lig of the uterus and the artery that transverses within and the pulsations therein during pregnancy?

10. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Thanks Christina! :)

At this point, I'll happily settle for "pregnant," especially in Twister's case -- she was culled because Mark couldn't seem to get her bred. :(

I decided to take a chance on her ... I hope it pays off!

Here are the girls standing out by the barn day before yesterday:

[​IMG]

11. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Doc, I thought it was 5 rings, not 3! :confused:

And no, I don't know how to preg-check. My boss usually has the vet out for that, so I don't think he'll be able to teach me.

My neighbor has his beef cattle checked in December; I'm going to put the girls over there for a month or so with his Angus bull, then run 'em through the chute. Then they'll come home for the winter where they can sleep in a cozy barn while incubating those heifer calves! :haha:

12. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Three rings.
    If the neighbor is going to have the cows checked maybe you could hang around and have the vet help you get a feel for things.

BTW; did you know, if you give the cow- heifer a kiss on the nose after AI
    that helps to insure conception?

13. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

:haha: :haha: :haha:

14. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

Hmmm.. apple cider vinegar and females... does that have anything to do with the Garden Of Eden? :haha:

15. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

Willow, caption for the pic. Twister says 'if you do not look she will not take a picture.' Then Christina looks...oops... snap Sorry if I have the names wrong..

16. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

:haha:

Twister's the one with the white marking on her face that looks like a tornado. It's how she got her name. :)

All my critters are used to me chasing them around with cameras by now! Here's one of my favorites ... see if you can come up with a caption for this one! :haha:

[​IMG]

17. click

click Guest

Oooonnly annnn idddiot wooould vote for Kerrrrrrrri.

18. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

:haha: Actually, Honey (the mare) is pretty lazy, and would rather laze around eating and making babies than do any honest work, so ... she'd probably vote Democrat! :haha:

19. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Willow, Are you telling us that Teeny will have a holstien calf if you bred her , but only a halfstien calf if your boss or the neighbors bull knocked her up???

20. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Sorry if that was confusing!
    OK, here's the scoop: Teeny is 100 percent Holstein.
    I bred her (AI) with Holstein semen = 100 percent Holstein calf if that mating was successful.
    My boss bred her (AI) with Jersey semen = 50-50 calf if he's the one who fertilized her egg.
    She is going across the road with the neighbor's bull (if it ever quits RAINING!) so if the AI was unsuccessful, the neighbor's Angus will undoubtedly take a poke at her during her next cycle. (Hey, any calf is better than none at all, right?!)

I'm really hoping the Jersey bull, Beretta, did the job ... I really like Jerseys, and she had a rough time calving the first time around and a Jersey X calf probably will be smaller than straight Holstein! :)

Here's Teeny with her foster calf, Little Beefy (this was taken at the end of August, so LB would have been about 2 months old):

[​IMG]