Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had symptoms of a bad gall bladder for over a year. I had an ultrasound last fall that showed no stones. The pain came & went so I put off doing anything else. Well, after several months the pain started again only worse than before. Once again no stones showed on the ultrasound. This time I also went for a HIDA scan. The surgeon called me today to let me know my gall bladder is not functioning. This was the only time I was glad to have something wrong show up on a test! At least now I can have my gall bladder removed & maybe I'll feel better. I also have a hernia to be fixed & hope he can do it all at the same time. Not exactly the gift I wanted, but if it makes me feel better, I will gladly have it done. So, prayers & good wishes for a speedy recovery are appreciated. I'll let you all know how it goes.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Wendy - good operation and recovery prayers for you. Do you know when this will be done.?

Angie

·
Registered
878 Posts
Wow, you sure know how to have a fun holiday season, don't ya? :rolleyes:
Will be thinking of you, wishing you a easy surgery and a speedy recovery and just think- at least you won't have to cook or clean anything for a few days- right? Just kidding! Take care!

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure on the date yet. The surgeon said he would get it scheduled as soon as possible.

·
Karaoke Queen
964 Posts
I suffered gall problems for a year before I went in. Only to be told it wasn't gall stones. The US showed "something" so they did surgery within 24 hours. The stone was almost 1.5 inches.

On the positive side, recovery was very easy! I hope yours is too!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Wendy, you will be so glad you had the surgery! I had two massive gallstones and the pain of a gall bladder attack was almost indescribable. I've never been in labor, but my mother, who had gallstones like mine, said attacks were worse than being in labor. I believe it. I even fainted three times from the pain, and I have never fainted in my life before that!

My surgery was laproscopic, in at 8 a.m. and home by 4 p.m. that same day. I had a lot of post surgery pain, I had 6 incisions as opposed to most people getting 3. Don't know why. I had to have help sitting up in bed, DH would have to get behind my shoulders and push me upright, it was as if I had zero strength in the muscles of my stomach and abdomen area. I could not even roll onto my side and push myself upright with my arms. That lasted 3 days and then I was able to get myself upright, even though slowly. I walked hunched over for a few more days, no bra, no panties. My navel was glued shut, which was a unique experience. I did not get the shoulderblade pain the dr. said I might from the CO2 they inflate you with. I still have to watch what I eat to some extent, and 4 months on, I still get a little pinching pain under my ribcage where my gall bladder used to be. Don't know why, dr. is not concerned about it. But then two weeks after surgery, I was out working with DH cleaning up after the hurricane, and was supposed to not lift anything over 5 lb. for 6 weeks.

OK, story over. But really, having my gall bladder out has made me feel so much better overall, I had not realized how yucky I felt for so long. I even find I have more energy. You will be very glad you had the surgery. You'll feel ever so much better, I promise!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Good luck with your surgery and your recovery! Let us know the date for the planned procedure as soon as you know it.

~Dona

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
wishing you a speedy recovery. just think how wonderful you'll feel for the new year! everyone is different, but I've known quite a few people that were so thrilled to be finished with the prior pain that the surgery pain was easy to deal with. up and around in a flash. prayers that it how it will be for you, too.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I had a hernia repaired the same time I had my GB removed in June. He also removed a ball of fat from my abdomen LOL! It was an easy operation and I was home within a few hours. The pain was minimum, but the most pain was from the hernia not the GB. Hope you are feeling better soon!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I understand feeling like it would be a good Christmas present, the pain is so unbearable that the surgery is a gift! I had my gall bladder removed in June. I also had laparascopic surgery and had 4 incisions, 3 were small the other quite large because my gall bladder was very inflamed. I was home by dinner time and walking around fine the next day, I didn't even take the pain killers that were prescribed.

Please let us know when they schedule your surgery, I'll be praying for you!

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
You are going to feel like a new woman! I haven't had gall bladder problems myself, but both my dsis and older dd have either had their gall bladder ot or stones removed, and they both felt sooo much better right after surgery. A lot of my patients (and other nurses I work with) who have gone through it all said the same thing.

Hey, where do I sign up for the "ball 'o fat-ectomy"? LOL I'd be willing to have my gall bladder out if I could get the other half thrown in! ;)

·
www.HarperHillFarm.com
3,089 Posts
We hope all goes well for you Wendy. There's never a good time for surgery and the holidays seem to make it worse, but I'm sure your family will chip in and help.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Hope everything goes well and you recover quickly! I, too, had GB out, surgery on Wednesday, back in school Thursday night.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Prayers for a super speedy recovery!

I have been dealing with gallstones since last December (way worse than labor pains, blah!). I'm trying to make it through the holidays then I'll get my gallbladder removed too. I never thought I'd be excited about surgery (lol) but it's the down time that scares me.

Keep us posted on when surgery will be. Best of luck to you! :)

~Ashley

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Gallbladder pain is worse than childbirth pain! I am sure that your surgery will go well, and you will be so relieved to not have to deal with it anymore!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Many wishes for a smooth procedure and speedy recovery!
I had the Laparoscopic surgery on Friday Dec 5th. I went in a 6 am and was back home by noon. It is still major surgery so do get all the help you can for the first few days. Everyone is different, I thought I would be up and it Saturday morning myself. Today is the first day that I really feel like my old self though. I admit I was questioning whether it was worth it over the weekend, it was pretty difficult getting around.
Tomorrow is my post op appt. I am so glad I had it done!

·
Registered
763 Posts
While I have never had gall bladder surgery, I can understand your "gift" attitude. I must, and I do mean must, have carpal tunnel surgery after the New Year. I cannot wait until it is finished.

I hope your surgery goes well and you recover quickly. Starting out with a positive attitude will really help.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts