My children's weight keeps creeping up...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Anita in NC, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

I weighed the kids yesterday to see how they were doing. It had been 2 months since I last weighed them.

Peter age 10 was up 4 lbs
    Ben age 7 was up 2 lbs
    Sam age 3 was down 1 lb

No one grew in height.

The doctor had told me that both Peter and Ben needed to watch what they ate. We don't typically keep junk food in the house. I think they just eat too much. They are going to have to start filling up on more veggies.

Watching what you or in this case the kids too is so hard. :Bawling:

2. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

It is not unusual for kids to gain weight for awhile, then grow in height. It is not unusual for boys to go through a chubby phase in adolescence.
    I don't know what your boys look like, but I am always leery of any weight concerns in childhood unless the child is lazy and truly fat.

Are your kids chubby? Ill? Active?

3. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    Are they sitting around more (snacking) since the weather turned colder?

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

My children are a little below wt....work, milk and water are their choices...they are gaining but stronger and fitter than their peers...my 12 yo son is 5'3" and 100pounds and whacks a golf ball as far as most grown men....and he runs the tractor better than dad! :shrug:

Say no to soda pop and juice...or juice watered down by half.....whole milk is also watered by half.....

We also eat alot of beans and homegrown or wild meat....not lots of processed stuff....

5. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

When I was younger I gained weight before a growth spurt. I gained ALOT of weight because I started puberty when I was 8.

Kat

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

My daughter kept gaining and gaining, despite being on calorie restriciton of 1000cal/day. She is 4'11" and weighed 145#. When I got her completely on the celiac diet (and no corn) she began dropping and in about a yr or so weighed 105 and has held that for nearly 2 yrs. She can eat as much as she wants, no calorie restriction, as long as it doesn't have gluten or corn. We of course had to stop eating any processed foods and everything must be cooked from scratch, hence no msg. We don't use any artificial sweetners either.

You might want to check out food allergies. I'm really convinced it is not how much, but what you eat that matters. If you are getting what you need, you won't overeat.

7. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

some of my children gained weight and then grew taller and gained weight and then grew taller.

Its probobly a good idea to routinely have some family outdoor activities too.

8. gottahaveagoat

gottahaveagoat Well-Known Member

My son started gaining weight in 4th grade and was chubby until he started 7th grade then he started slimming down and getting tall. Now as a freshman he is 6ft and a bean pole. I think most kids get a little chubby.

9. Melissa

Melissa member

My kids have done this too. They gain weight, then they grow in height almost over night. At this age I think just looking at them can tell you a lot. Are they visibly overweight? Drinks rack up a lot of calories, even if it is milk or juice which can be healthy choices.

10. Belly Acre

Belly Acre Well-Known Member

While my children were growing up...they are still teenagers I would tell them that either they had to watch what they eat or increase their exercise. Worked well with my first born, has caused my second to rebel and try to gain all the weight she can. I just figured that was the truth about weight, if you consume more calories than you burn you'll gain weight! But hang in there, these other people are right, it seemed though they would gain weight then grow. My oldest is 6' tall and 190# My youngest is 5'9" or so and 185#.

11. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

As long as they're not eating junk food or overeating out of boredom, I think you should just let them eat as much as they want - a healthy kid knows what his body needs. Good grief, my 10 year old daughter can Put It Away. She eats more than my DH sometimes! I think that controlling kids' food intake - or even discussing it, sometimes - makes the problem worse. Food should be enjoyed, not become an issue. Note -- I do realize there are exceptions to this. But fewer than you'd think.

The key is EXERCISE. If I had a kid with a weight problem the first thing I'd think about (after eliminating junk) is getting him into a physical activity. Got a YMCA? Ours has an indoor pool, and all kinds of sports the kids can do. I realize it's winter, but there's always something. How about roller skating? On nice days the kids can put on coats and ride bikes. Turn off the TV. My DD is a gymnast so she's covered (and pretty buff too, I have to say!) but even my couch-potato DS is required to partake in at least one athletic activity of his choice at all times - gymnastics, baseball, soccer, wrestling, karate, etc.

12. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Someone who is an exercise freak was on public radio with a study they initiated as a result of their own unpleasant surprise at home. Seems the husband and wife bought themselves pedometers to measure how much "exercise" they got just running their normal days. Now, both spouses had office jobs... very sedentary. The pedometers were supposed to inspire them to run up stairs and park at the far end of the parking lot.

Well, you know kids... their grade schooler saw the pedometers and wanted to try it. So they slapped it on him. When he came home they thought he'd broken it, so they tried again. They were so shocked at the end of a week that they did a wholesale change of their schedules.

What did they find? That their grade school son got less activity than they did, by about half. Here you think kids are running around being kids, but the fact is that the average grade school kid has a more sedentary lifestyle than their office worker parents!

Anyhow, it spawed a whole study of the amount of activity kids really get and the results were a little shocking. It basically boils down to the fact that unless your kids do heavy chores before and after school parents need to make a real effort to make sure their kids get exercise after school. For friends of mine this means a membership at the local gym, bike rides with the kids after work, sledding... anything to get everyone up, active, and moving. The assumption that they're doing "stuff" during recess or gym class proves not to be true.

In fact, I was picking up a friend's kid at school the other day and got to see a "gym class." The children sat in a circle with some scarves. One at a time they got up for about 15 seconds or less and threw the scarves in the air in an attempt to juggle them. As soon as one hit the floor, the kid sat down. This is "gym class."

No wonder kids are overweight!

13. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Back in the Dark Ages of the late 80's and early 90's, there weren't too many computers in everyday homes in America. Cartoons were mostly played on Saturday mornings also.

We used to play football, ride bikes, chase each other, just do alot of outside things.

Kids nowadays play all those weird gaming consoles and don't have any chores. Even if it was just setting dishes for supper, I had chores growing up.

Ah the Dark Ages lol.

Kat

14. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

A couple years ago, some government health program out of the blue sent a pedometer to my (then 8 yo) daughter. She was supposed to record her walking for a week and send it back along with a few sentences she wrote about how exercise is important to her. They said they'd pick a few quotes to publish in some kind of kids' fitness newsletter, but we never heard anything more after we'd sent it in. Still, it was kind of fun.

15. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

My 6 year old is having a weight problem. I have cut down on her helpings and don't let her drink milk, I'm hoping this will help. We don't buy Kool Aid or have juice or soda. It's usually water to drink, every now and then a little iced tea. I don't allow them candy, except tuesday nights. I will take her for her yearly check up next month, and see if they can find any food allergies.

16. Pouncer

Pouncer Well-Known Member

I have a pretty physically active 7 yo boy. If I let him, he would sit in front of the TV or the computor quite a bit. He is allowed a few hours of cartoons on Saturday morning, but other than that-it's out the door to play, or do something constructive.

They sit all day at desks, and really need some way to burn those extra calories. I allow him about one treat a day (if he's good about helping around the house) otherwise he eats what we eat, no exceptions. He's four and half foot tall and probably goes about 65 pounds-wears size ten regular jeans-just a tad long in the leg.

17. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

Incidentally, Fluoride is known to mess with thyroid function (can't remember the proper medical jargon). Most American children get a daily overdose. One of the symptoms is weight gain or the inability to lose weight.

Do you have fluoridated water or give fluoride supplements?

18. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

19. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

No fluoride in the water here and they don't take supplements.

EXERCISE
    We do have a YMCA that we use. We haven't been as much as we would like recently but go swimming for 90 minutes once per week.

Fridays are park day with 2 to 3 hours of running around with the other kids.

Sundays are family park day for playing, running around, riding bikes, playing ball etc.. for a couple of hours.

Other things we do during the week include play dates, yard work, hiking, parks days, playlands, etc....

Today was a play date and they played in the back yard for a couple of hours and then went out front for a hour to ride scooters.

PORTION CONTROL
    I go to Weight Watchers as I have to lose 30 lbs. My oldest son comes along to keep me company and we enjoy chatting without the other kids. He has taken an interest in WW and started to keep a food diary to help him get in all his food groups and watch his portion size. He seems quite interested in this.

We really don't eat very much junk food and the kids aren't allowed sugary drinks and only one glass of OJ per day. I think they have just been over eating. So I am going to focus more on portion control and low calorie foods for snacking on. I don't necessarily want to lose weight but maybe just grow into what they already have.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

20. MICHAEL B OHIO

MICHAEL B OHIO Well-Known Member

ok got my interest peaked what is celiac diet ? Mike