My chickens, and the neighbors

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by michiganfarmer, Jan 9, 2007.

1. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I have a dozen egg layers. They were free range. I checked on them every day during the summer to see if they were wandering over to the neighbors who are very close. This fall I noticed the chickens over there so I went and talked to the neighbors. they said they enjoyed having them around so I offered a dozen eggs per week for my chicken's use of their land. They were happy with that. This has been going on for about 6 weeks. The other day the neighbors said the chickens were pooping in their toolshed, so I tod them I would pen them up, and sunday night I did. This mornign when I went out to check on the hens they were talkin' up a storm,lol. As I walked toward the door they all gathered near the door. They wanted out of there!,lol.

I hate to keep them cooped up, so I guess Im either going to fence between us and the neighbors, or build chicken tractor.

2. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Looks like you're going to have to fence - if your chickens are anything like mine, it won't have to be all that much of a fence to contain them. Gotta let the chooks have their run-around time. Happy chickens lay more eggs, plus it's way too much fun to watch them.

I do think your neighbors have probably forfeited the weekly eggs. :p

3. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Why don't they close the door to the toolshed? :shrug:

4. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

My thought exactly. :)

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Put the fence acroos their tool shed door.

6. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

I agree tell them to shut the door!! Your gals need to roam...tell your neighbor what a service they are getting by letting the gals pick up bugs and they get free eggs. I think a lil poop (ha!!) is free fertilizer for them.