Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week and a half ago my cat had surgery and stayed at the vet's overnight. She also had her rabies vaccine. About a week ago she started little spits... very tiny sneezy sounds. She's still sneezing. i thought perhaps it was just a cold... until I looked it up on the internet... YIKES!!!

My cats NEVER go outside, so they aren't exposed to other sick animals. I'm afraid she caught something while at the vet, but every web site I've read scares me to death with diseases that cause 90% of cat sneezing and never go away... something herpes or other respiratory infections that can kill a cat. I have another cat and of course it's on a SATURDAY that I read all this crap and I can't get ahold of the vet.

Anyone here have any experience with kitty colds that haven't killed your cats?

She's eating fine, affectionate, etc. It does look like the hair under her eyes may have been a little wet from something from her eyes... but it's hard to say for sure.

I'm calling the vet first thing Monday, but I would appreciate any encouraging words you may have for me in the meantime... as well as any suggestions to help my poor little Chloe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,265 Posts
Oh yea! The Misinformation Highway! :rolleyes: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

There are very few critter health resources on the Internet I trust. One of the few I do, though, is VetInfo at http://www.vetinfo.com You might run a search on kitty cat sneezing and eye stuff there.

Spring is breaking out here, so my inclination is to say your poor kitty has allergies. But I'm probably wrong. :D

In any case, here's hoping you and kitty feel better. And go to VetInfo! It's possible you can scare yourself there but you might also find yourself relieved!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,459 Posts
My cat is 14 years old and every spring, and sometimes at other times of the year sneezes and eyes will tear. But has been doing that ever since he was a baby, just allergies. Just make sure the wet in his eyes are clear, (not cloudy and matted). If she is still sneezing Monday you might still want to call the vet. But I bet it's allergies.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
19,241 Posts
Just watch your kitty and watch watch her carefully. I doubt if it's much of anything serious. Anytime my dogs have had surgery, they seem to sneeze for a stretch after. Maybe you're just cleaning house so much that you're making dust and if you were to stop that, you and kitty would feel better :haha:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wr said:
Just watch your kitty and watch watch her carefully. I doubt if it's much of anything serious. Anytime my dogs have had surgery, they seem to sneeze for a stretch after. Maybe you're just cleaning house so much that you're making dust and if you were to stop that, you and kitty would feel better :haha:
And I think you are my new bestest friend, wr. You are certainly on my wavelength and can obviously see that I have been working soooo hard.

Thank you... I'll feel a little better while I'm waiting to get her checked out. You guys are great at this! :worship:
 
U

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I had my kittens spayed and they began sneezing the next day and acting sick with runny noses. I opened up an echinacea capsule and mixed about half of it with a little water. I pulled some of the liquid up into one of those syringes without a needle and squirted it down their throats. I did that 3 times a day and within a couple of days they were fine. They may have just had a reaction to the anesthesia but since they were at the vet, I was imagining them exposed to all kinds of things. For allergies, I use stinging nettle the same way. I don't know if this will work for your baby but it might be worth a try. Good Luck.
 
U

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
<<<<CAT VETERINARIAN HERE..................Your kitty has almost certainly caught an upper respiratory virus while at the hospital. This is a NOT UNCOMMON occurrence, particularly if all the vaccinations have not been completed well in advance of the hospitalization and its attendant stresses. Usually URIs are a nuisance, but it is important that you make sure your cat is continuing to eat and is not getting depressed or listless. A call to your own vet on Monday is in order but URIs are NOT AN EMERGENCY. They are worse than our "colds" but not usually as bad as our "flu" unless the cat's vaccinations are not complete. Relax. Just don't ignore it. Like a sick child, your kitty needs attention to ensure that things are not getting nasty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Unregistered said:
<<<<CAT VETERINARIAN HERE..................Your kitty has almost certainly caught an upper respiratory virus while at the hospital. This is a NOT UNCOMMON occurrence, particularly if all the vaccinations have not been completed well in advance of the hospitalization and its attendant stresses. Usually URIs are a nuisance, but it is important that you make sure your cat is continuing to eat and is not getting depressed or listless. A call to your own vet on Monday is in order but URIs are NOT AN EMERGENCY. They are worse than our "colds" but not usually as bad as our "flu" unless the cat's vaccinations are not complete. Relax. Just don't ignore it. Like a sick child, your kitty needs attention to ensure that things are not getting nasty.
Dear Unregistered Guest, thank you for responding. It's nice to know that you are with us. And I hope Kitty Chloe gets better really soon. I found out that my cat is allergic to something in carpets and sneezes occasionally. I'm looking forward to my new house with hardwood floors and so is Kukui.
Please, let us know what the vet says about Chloe! Judi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TXlightningbug said:
Dear Unregistered Guest, thank you for responding. It's nice to know that you are with us. And I hope Kitty Chloe gets better really soon. I found out that my cat is allergic to something in carpets and sneezes occasionally. I'm looking forward to my new house with hardwood floors and so is Kukui.
Please, let us know what the vet says about Chloe! Judi
Chloe sneezed only once yesterday morning - we were gone much of yesterday - but she didn't sneeze last night at all - it was a very quick shut down of the sneezing episodes we've been enjoying over the past week... imagine... snuggling on the couch... tseww... kitty sneeze all over you! I haven't heard her even sniffle today... so I'm waiting til tomorrow. If she's over it... big tado about nothing... if not... she's going to the vet.

You guys were great! Thank you for your support! If she goes to the vet, I'll let you all know what happens.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top