My cat came back ...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cygnet, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

You know, I've tried trapping this cat, and leaving doors open to try to lure her inside, and sitting outside for hours, and crawling around in a spider-infested crawlspace, and etc.

This is the cat I thought the neighbor's dog had eaten after she got out. (Housecat.) She's been completely and totally terrified of me, bolting for a hidey-hole under my house at every chance.

So I opened the door this evening to take the trash out, and she waltzed in the door with her tail in the air. Rubbed against my ankles, hopped in my lap when I sat down, and started purring and kneading my lap. My other cats are ecstatic -- her brother was kneading her shoulder and drooling on her when I left -- and I'm floored that she went from frantic terror to, "Hi, I'm home!" within a few minutes. (I tried to catch her, literally, thirty minutes before she walked in the door and she'd ran for the hole under the skirting.)

Guess that's classic cat behavior, I dunno.

She looks fine. She's skinny (she needed to lose weight anyway, though this wasn't exactly the reccomended way to put a cat on a diet!) and dirty but purring up a storm. She's got some healing scabs on her neck and shoulders, so I would guess that the dog did get ahold of her, but there's no sign of infection or lasting injury.

Lucky cat.

BTW, for the writers out there, the cat's name is Mary Sue. *grin* I think she's earned her name now.

Leva

2. Bluegrass

Bluegrass Active Member

Glad to hear she's home safe and sound.

3. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm so glad kitty is back in the house! I felt so bad for it!

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Our own "housecat" comes in when the weather gets ugly. The rest of the year, he'd really rather be OUT, thank you very much! :)

I'm glad your cat came in.

5. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

6. Egee

Egee Member

Cats are so funny! They sure are independent. I am very happy to hear she is back in the house. I have three indoor cats. In the 10 years we have had them, (knock on wood) they have never gotten out or even tried. I would be heartbroken and terrified if they did. There is nothing like the sound of a purring cat!