Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bottle baby bull calf and my chickens use the same day field, really the chickens have run of everything but they like spending days with the cow so whatever, I have no problem with this, it has worked out well for me as the field is right behind my garden and I can just throw any bad vegies right in there with the hens. I have been doing this all summer and up till now Jr. (the calf) has shone absolutely no interest in the scraps. That all changed when I started offering the chickens wilted turnips. He can’t get enough of then and has started thinking that the veggie scraps might be a good thing all around. Other than turnips he likes pumpkins and cherry tomatoes best, but he does not like larger sized tomatoes. :shrug:

So what I really want to know is eating this stuff as a treat every now and then when I give it to the chickens ok for him or do I need to start putting the scraps for the hens elsewhere?

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Some people feed their animals anything and everything, but you have to be careful of choking. I give my chickens table scraps (fresh ones, not anything moldy or nasty), but I don't give that stuff to the cows or donkeys. Myself, I'd put the scraps for the hens elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
turnips and squashes are great for cows and have been used as feeds for overwintering for as long as cows have been domesticated. I wouldn't worry a bit about them or the tomatoes.
There can be a risk of choking on the turnips and folks used to use a hand cranked root cutter to cut them up into smaller pieces to alleviate the risk. A few whacks with a hatchet or machete will do the same thing.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
turnips and squashes are great for cows and have been used as feeds for overwintering for as long as cows have been domesticated. I wouldn't worry a bit about them or the tomatoes.
There can be a risk of choking on the turnips and folks used to use a hand cranked root cutter to cut them up into smaller pieces to alleviate the risk. A few whacks with a hatchet or machete will do the same thing.
i was cutting the turnips up into slices for the chickens any was so that is no big deal. happy :cow:

·
Registered
631 Posts
I used to have a garden next to my cows they loved to sample. Their favorite things seems to be the horseradish next door right now. If they can get to it they eat it rite to the ground. They all seem to like pumpkin and many will try for the apple trees and those worry me so I fenced them off

1 - 7 of 7 Posts