My buck is just too big for all the ladies

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by heady's_buns, May 21, 2020.

1. heady's_buns

heady's_buns Member

So....I just picked up a spectacular black otter rex buck with pedigree showing black otter back three generations. Hard to see his full potential here, but alas I don't show, so I don't know how to pose them.

He was the holy grail for me and my herd goals. I figured I would hunt down a couple otter does of different colors as I saw them available down the line to do a pure program, but still have a good herd buck to use in the meantime. I have a meat program started with a standard chinchilla as my buck then two Californians and a NZ/lionhead cross for my does. I thought they might be [similar] in size when he came, but he's 9.5lbs of manly beafcake and all my does look so much smaller framed than him. I'm new to rabbits but familiar with husbandry in general. What is the acceptable size difference between buck and doe for safe kindling? Is a standard Rex buck going to be able to breed another standard breed or are they just better to breed only to another Rex or giant class doe? IMG_5807.jpg