Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sugarstone Farm
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night when I fed them, I noticed he wasn't acting himself, seemed lethargic and not too interested in food, though he did eat some; but then went right "to bed." Checked him over and it didn't seem an emergency, so we called the vet to come out this morning.

He was not interested in food at all this morning. I had to be away for work, so my DH took care of Seymour for me. Here is his email from this afternoon after the vet left:

Well Seymour is sick but he doesn't think it's gotten too far yet, his temp is 103.7 normal is 102. He gave him 6 CC's of Pen and 6 cc's of Gen. I have to give him a shot of Pen tonight then twice a day for 3 to 5 days depending on how he acts. Also need to give him a shot of Gen in the morning then no more of that.

I have to check and see what we have for big needles he said use thick ones and long ones on pigs the others bend too easy. He's not going to be easy to give shots to I'm afraid after he gets to feeling better, we'll see.

The first one he got now he tried to run off but the vet was fast. The second one he surprised us and ran around alot, and finally stopped. The vet was scratching him and he was standing real good, vet scratched with one hand while I rubbed his back and gave him the second shot and he never moved. He drank a little water and we saw him chew a little hay but had no interest in a little corn. Vet said they can go a long time with out eating and drinking and still be recovering.

Seymour is almost 2 yrs old, an American Guinea hog, and weighs between 200 and 250lbs I'd guess. Maybe they taped him while the vet was there, don't know yet, to be sure on the weight. He is relatively tame, and I'm glad for that.

This is my first sick pig (first time we've had the vet out for them at ALL) and I have been reading all the other posts about sick animals, really made me WORRY! I'm really hoping he recovers just fine. :(

The silver lining: the vet said the gilt is definitely bred. She's due the first week of February, will be my first litter of piglets. :bouncy:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hope he gets better. I just lost mine. I was amazed at how quickly she went downhill. Hopefully you all caught it in time

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
I prefer droxxin (sp) for my pigs one shot of it and thats all you need for a sick pig. It is expensive but very worth it. It worked wonders on abby when she was sick this spring.

·
Sugarstone Farm
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting tidbit: This was a large animal vet (we live in farm country), and he said he only treated TWO pigs all last year. There are just no large hog operations around this area anymore, and those that do raise a few hogs aren't spending any money on vets because the pigs aren't worth much $.

·
Sugarstone Farm
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll find out about the Draxxin, never heard of that, thanks.

Seymour drank good this morning, and we scratched behind his ear to give him the shots and he just stood while we scratched. He is much perkier than last night. Still didn't want to eat, but the drinking more water was good.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Wow, you're so lucky he's willing to stand for his shots! Our 450 lb sow had piggies last week. She's our first sow after raising pigs to butcher, and I got her specifically because she'd had litters before, so she could teach me what I need to learn. Well, we learned about maybe having a piggy stuck in the birthing canal (nope, nothing there. *What* a story!) and about giving penicillin shots. That did *not* work and she was really PO'd at us. 450 pounds of pig can move very very quickly, and although she didn't actually bite or hurt anyone, we could see the potential is really there. We were able to go with supository pen instead of shots this time, but we obviously need a squeeze. And maybe a smaller pig... Meanwhile, the kids are darling, feisty and healthy, fortunately.
Kit
Lacomb, OR

·
Sugarstone Farm
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After a few days he got harder to medicate, which meant he was getting better! Today he was actually at the feed trough and eating, so he's doing better. The shots are done, thank goodness.

We decided after this we need a squeeze shoot or restraint too. Even at 225 lbs they can be hard to hold onto if they decide they don't want to. Our sow is due in February, so we'll see how she is. She is tamer than the boar, but with piglets involved, who knows.

Glad your piglets are doing great! I can't wait for mine. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts