My biggest goof-up this summer

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ana Bluebird, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

I attended the gourd festival in Sedalia, MO this summer and found it amazing at all the things they did with gourds. Not just bird-house gourds but all kinds. It was very interesting. So I purchased some seeds and planted them in the corner of the garden. BIG mistake! Those of you who have raised bird-house gourds or the larger versions probably are laughing cause you know that the vines have taken over the fence, the whole garden, big section of the yard, plus are trying to get up onto the propane tank! I see lots of huge green gourds in there, but I sure am going to have to find a better place to plant those aggresive vines!

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I wonder if it is related to my 'punkin that ate the garden' of several years ago? :haha:

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

One of my winter squash traveled 25 ft. before reaching the area that is mowed, and finally being stopped.

4. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Hay Ana,
    On most any vine crop, Take the tip of the vine (at the very end) and twist it off. This will slow down that growth give you more fruit and keep everything in bounds.
    John#4

5. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, thanks for the suggestion, John. I would think I would have to start doing that really early BEFORE my vine got out of control, hugh? My sister says she takes a cattle panel, bends it over into a large loop, anckors down the ends real good and plants next to that. She says it's easier to mow around it and control those ends you mention. Think I'll try that too next time.