My big goof-up, telling on myself...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by margo, May 15, 2004.

1. margo

margo Well-Known Member

:waa: Boy, did I ever goof? I walked into our tool shop/ storage bldg, and smelled something rank, thought it was a dead mouse, DH comes in, and looks around and finds the deep freezer door open about an inch. Noooo, no, no !
    Oh man, what a mess! We had just started a fire outside to burn some old ruined barn boards(bowed and useless). So, inadvertently, we set ourselves up to dispose of meat, corn, strawberries and other thawed and ruined food. I could kick myself if I could reach my butt. Anyone else do a "dummy" trick, lately? Make me laugh, please. I just hate when I do this, and I was the last one to open the freezer. waaaa, waaa..............margo :no:

2. Weve done that, but our freezer is in our kitchen. Its also an upright, meaning all the "juices" were on the kitchen floor. It wasnt full, but it was still hard trying to replace what we did loose. So, BTDT, and I feel for ya. :)

-------Almostthere

3. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

Last summer DH accidently hit the switch on the surge protector that both our freezers were plugged into. The plugs are on the floor between the two freezers. The freezers were in an outside building so we didn't find it for days. What a mess! What a waste! :(
    I tried not to make a big deal out of it though since he deals with half the feeling gone in his right foot from an earlier accident. He can stand on my size 7 foot with that big 16 half numb boat and not even know he's stepped on something. Its no surprise we don't don't dance anymore! :no:

Life happens! I'm just glad to particpate! :D

Life is good! :) :) :)
    Halo

4. CarolinaBound

CarolinaBound Well-Known Member

Life happens! I'm just glad to particpate! :D

Excellent attitude!! Now if I could just remember that saying when life happens!! :)

CarolinaBound!
    SagHarborGifts.com

5. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

What! You threw out the stinkbait???

6. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

Whiterock - That's exactly what my sister said! :haha: :haha: :haha:

Life is good! :) :) :)
    Halo

7. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Ooops, did I goof again? :rolleyes: A good homesteader would have thought of the next best use for the spoiled meat. The truth is, I haven't fished for years, my fault, love it, just haven't taken the time. Sorry 'bout wasting the bait. I do prefer to use nightcrawlers rather than the pungent stuff.
    Our dogs were fascinated by the smell. They kept wandering around nearby while we disposed, I bet they'd a-loved to roll in a pile of it ! yuck.
    The part that hurts most is the investment in the meat, Somewhere about 40 lbs left from a half beef we bought last fall, and the labor and time invested in the fruits and veggies. I'd say it was half-full, a 13 cu.ft. upright, and yep, there was a puddle of "Kool-aid" on the floor. :haha: Now, I can set a goal for this year, to fill it again, think I'll make me a sign for the door, to re-check the seal before I leave the building. Thanks for your comments, everyone. Margo

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Margo, that stuff simply happens despite our best intentions. But what I did defies common sense. Years ago when I was going on vacation I thought I would turn off as many electrical appliances as I could to save money. I got the itchy "saving" fever and went throughout the house. Then I thought- "I'll just turn off the main switch!" Yeap. Came back two weeks later to find the most foul and disgusting mess in my freezer and refrigerator. :eek: I laugh about it now but I've tried to use more brain cells in every money saving endeavor since. :)

9. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I turned off an upright freezer one time, not remembering that I had 15 frozen chickens in there... It was three weeks later when DH asked for chicken for super and I went to our regular deep freezer only to find none in there! :eek: The horror as I realized what had happened was incredible! Not to mention the fact that the smell is there and we CANNOT get it out! I finally gave up and the freezer went to the junk yard. I was so mad... :no:

I guess the moral is that we've all done it in one form or another. Live and learn, right? :rolleyes:

Sarah

10. 9Pines

9Pines Well-Known Member

I'm going to pass on a little information. If you have home insurance.. your freezers are covered in case of 'accidents' like this. Happened to my mother, when someone cut the wrong wire in her garage and her freezer thawed out. They asked her to come up with a number by comparing some prices with store prices..
    She ended up with close to 3,000 dollars for her freezer foods.
    Do check your home insurance. :)

11. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

This happened to me once. From that point on, I locked the freezer after each use, that way I know for sure it's closed all the way. You could just kick yourself when something like that happens. Just try to let it go and take measures to insure it doesn't happen again. :(

12. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

To remove smell from a fridge or freezer.. Just put in some wadded up newspaper for a couple of days. (IT WORKS.... My aunt and uncle used to survive on their own used appliance business!:)

13. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks for the tip about homeowners insurance. and the idea to lock the freezer after closing. I could hang the key on a magnetic hook right on the door. Thanks all for sharing...........Margo

14. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

I guess you are still stinging from that. I wasn't gonna tell a soul 'bout this, but here goes......

I was preparing to take my adult strength aspirin tonight, so I filled my cup. I had our dogs antibiotic in my hand (she has sub-clinical Lyme disease if you believe that), as I was gonna give her her medicine first. Guess what I did??

I took a drink of my pop and then swallowed the dogs dog-gone medicine.

:eek:

Yikes.

15. Bailey

Bailey Well-Known Member

OH, Rick....hope you don't have any adverse reactions to those meds....I'd have done the same thing. I can't have more than one thing going anymore. I'm so sidetracked.

We've had our freezer accidently get unplugged and it was filled with a couple of deer and an elk at the time....was so very sad. We live on wild meat. We don't buy beef unless we have company coming that we know absolutely cannot stand game meat.

My folks had a freezer full of food go bad when they had to abandon their place due to a forest fire. The fire didn't get their house, but the utilities had been turned off by the authorities to all the areas where the fire was threatening and they lost their fridge and freezer foods. The insurance covered the expense for the foods as well as the freezer and fridge. My folks tried everything to get the smells out and it nothing worked.

16. Hate the City

Hate the City Member

It will cost you about 30 dollars to set up but it is cheap insurance especialy when the freezer is in a remote building. Get yourself a freezer alarm that is a temp probe style and connect it to a loud horn of some kind siren ect. You used to be able to get the temp alrms at radio shack but a search on the net should give you a source. Just get a cheap 10 dollar alarm disable the internal buzzer and mount a large bell buzzer siren what ever over the door of the building. Leaving the door open, or kids getting in to it is not a hard ting to have happen, wiring problems tripped breakers my alarm has saved me a couple of times in the last few years.

Tracy

17. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Ditto for me. I tend to zone out of conversations too. :no: I was given something for attention span when I was taking my doctoral exams. It helped a great deal but is a controlled substance. Not Ritalin but something like that. Wow I had no idea what focusing was before that.

18. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Bailey

No reaction. It was the THOUGHT more than anything. Thanks for your good wishes.

19. stickinthemud

stickinthemud Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, yeah! Went on vacation & turned off the power to the outside outlet. Guess what else was on that circuit! DH disassembled the door to cut away the stinking insulation & replaced it but we never got 100% of the smell out. We still used it for meats & savory stuff--but no more stocking up on ice cream!
    CW