My bean seeds from USDA came today

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Cyngbaeld, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I requested and received, a bean called 'cherry' and one called '40 day bean' both from Hungary, and a wild pea from Pakistan. The wild pea grows as a 'weed' in wheat crops in Pakistan and is favored by sheep and goats. I plan to see if the wild pea will help wheat to grow better without so much fertilizer and to see how my animals (poultry and soon will have sheep) like it. It is very small (slightly larger than milo) so perhaps would work well for poultry without grinding.

I'll be growing out the other two beans and let you all know how they do. If all goes well I may have a limited amt of seed next year or at least the yr after to share. (I got 30 seeds of each, so won't be a huge crop.)

2. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Sounds exciting! I'm looking forward to hearing how the experiment goes!

Does the USDA have a site for this sort of thing, or did you sign up for some sort of seed program, or...?

(You may have already posted about this. Sorry if I missed it!)

Pony!

3. Cyngbaeld

There is a site on the net you can see what they have and request it. Some things they will send to folks like me who want to try something different that is not available commercially. And some things are only avail to researchers. You have to tell them who you are and what you plan to do with the seeds or other plant material and they will decide if you qualify for that material. There is no charge to you. Some of the amts are very small. I also requested some rice seed, haven't heard if I will get it yet. They only send 5 grams of rice seed. I want to see if I can grow rice in a traditional manner here in east texas. They have varieties you can't get elsewhere. I have detailed instructions on how to grow rice and am eager to try it. I also requested a couple of strains of hulless oats and hulless barley. If I can get it to produce I'll have to save the entire crop for seed for next year, but the varieties are unavailable commercially so it is worth it to me to try them. I'm really interested in helping preserve heritage and open pollinated crops.

http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/acc/acc_queries.html

4. bluelacedredhea

bluelacedredhea Well-Known Member

Did you already know what types of crops you were looking for? Or did you make your decision after visiting their database?
    Were these the particular varieties you had chosen personally or do they make the final pick for you?
    And how long does it take to get an answer?
    This is fascinating and a wonderful "tool" for the small landholder..

5. Cyngbaeld

I had an idea of things I was specifically interested in. Heritage crops, things not commercially available, but particularly things that would do well in my climate. I am trying to find legumes and grains that I can grow as a small holder that will be palatable to my stock as well as to myself, and that will not require machinery and equipment I do not have, nor want, in order to process.

Most (if not all) poultry feed available is based on soybeans and corn. I really do not want to feed soy to my stock. At present I don't have a lot of choice tho. So I want to grow my own. Now, I could just plant the traditional peas and beans and corn, but I would like something different too.

And not all legumes and grains have the same limiting amino acids. I can't do lab tests to see what each has, but I can try different varieties and see what helps my birds to grow faster and healthier and what they like the best.

Anyhow, (sorry about meandering) I looked for types of plants and then spent a good bit of time digging thru to find several that looked promising.

I put in my request on the 7th for 20 items and received the first 3 today.

6. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

What did you fill in for the "intent of use" box on the request form? I found lots of things I'd like to try. Many cereal grains originating in Romania. Some barley and wheat to be exact. There are lots of vetch types too. I'd really like to try those.

7. Cyngbaeld

I told them that I had a small family farm in East Texas where I raise heritage poultry and that I was interested in raising heritage crops that would grow in my climate, for animal/human feed and other farm usage.

I also put the name of my little farm on the addy.

8. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

That is an interesting site. I may ask for some clover varieties to test here on my place. I am also curious what you told them you were using the seeds for - do you have to be a bona fide researcher to get seed?

9. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I requested, so far, a barley and a vetch. They both originated in Romania from wild stock and are both being held in trust by Auburn University here in Alabama. I hope I get some. The barley would be great in beef stew and the vetch would be terrific for the birds to forage on.

10. Cyngbaeld

Just got two pumpkins from Turkey and a red cob Apache Corn.

Got an email about the bamboo. They said I could come dig it up and they are in Georgia. Guess I'll have to pass on that! LOL Disappointed because I really wanted to try those varieties.

11. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

I asked for some seeds today. How long does it normally take to get a response from them?

12. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

After reading that someone actually was able to receive something, I have been encouraged and sent off for some fruit tree starts and seeds.
    I didn't see where it said how long it took for anything to arrive, but I look forward to seeing if I get a reply.
    mamabear

13. Cyngbaeld

Mamabear, you need to make sure you have the root stock when the fruit tree starts arrive. They have to be grafted. What did you ask for?

My rice seed came. 3 varieties. Very tiny amts. Also 2 varieties of hulless barley and one hulless oat.

So far only one shipment came with a reply card. The pumpkins and corn came from Ames Iowa. They will also want me to make a report on how the plants did.

14. Cyngbaeld

Randy, they have a number of sites all over the states and even in Peurto Rico. Some of the seeds came within a week. Some within two weeks and some not yet. I have had two emails with verification. So the definative answer is: it depends. LOL

15. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

Cyngbaeld, thanks for the heads-up on the fruit starts. Some will come as seeds, but I think a couple of them are starts. I didn't think about having to graft, so I'm not sure where I can get the root stock. Our local nursery may be able to give me information on that. I don't know if I will receive any or not, but I asked for chestnut, fig, apple, and apricots.
    I'd love to have the type of orchard that we had when I was a kid.
    Thanks, Cyngbaeld, and anyother information that you have, please let me know.
    mamabear

16. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I got my vetch and my barley. I am so excited. Vetch is a legume with a high protein content and will pull atomospheric nitrogen from the air and put it into the soil. I've read anywhere from 100-200 pounds of pure nitrogen per acre. It must be innoculated with a bacteria though but that's easy enough. I think that's great. I'm certainly going to order more.

thank you Cyngbaeld

17. Cyngbaeld

You're welcome. You are allowed 20 requests per 6 months.

18. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Oh, that's good to know. I better be careful what I ask for then. So far, I've only been searching for crops originating in either Alabama or Romania. An odd mix, I know...but that's who we are.

I hope everyone is having a great Thanksgiving.

19. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I ordered 16 different things yesterday. Hope I get at least some of them!

I ordered sweet corn, grain amaranth, popping sorghum, bell peppers, a potato variety, 3 varieties of tomato, and several other things.

The bell peppers are supposed to be orangey-red with bright yellow stripes.

The potato is an ancient variety from South America (might be small but I bet it's hardy and flavorful). They are supposed to send one tuber.

Of the tomatoes, I ordered some that are supposed to be frost resistant, and some that are supposed to keep setting fruits through the hot part of the summer. If they do well, I'll have tomatoes most of the year around.

There was a sweet corn variety that is red bi-color, but none available, so I ordered a yellow variety that's supposed to be especially sweet.

I wonder how long it will be before I happen to get them? Do they ever turn down orders?

20. Cyngbaeld

Yes they do sometimes turn down requests. Sometimes only part of a request may be turned down. As to when you will get the items. Some of my requests came immediately and some I am still waiting for.