My Barn is getting a new roof today!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by deberosa, Nov 22, 2004.

1. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

They called this morning and started in at first light. It's noon and they are almost ready to put the metal on. Some of the old poles were rotted but we went out into the woods and harvested some new ones. I am so thrilled my barn will be around for another 100 years!
    [​IMG]

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

way to go!you will not be sorry for the new roof!just keep an eye on keeping it tight and it will be here a hundred years from now.

3. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

That looks so neat!! And I bet your stock is smiling knowing they can get in out of the winter weather!! :D

4. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

That is wonderful news Deberosa! Can't wait to see the "after" picture too! :)

5. deberosa

They just drove off - not only is the barn now dry, but also more solid with the metal roof instead of the shakes. They did a wonderful job!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

that sure made quite a difference! may also lower your insurance ! the tin will make anything inside well equipt for winter wish wwe had that here make a great wool sorting/prosess shop :D and they fixed wood too? great !

7. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

Very cool, Deb!

8. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

That is sooo nice! I'll have to show this to Dh, maybe I can convince him into doing our barn. :)

9. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

Hey Deberosa!
    What a great looking roof. I have to say that you are a real inspiration to me. I am so impressed with all that you manage to get done on your homestead. I look at your website every once in awhile to give myself the incentive to get off my butt and get the outside projects done.
    Leay

10. deberosa

Thanks, I am just forging ahead into uncharted territory. I never was one to let moss grow on my north side, but I actually agonized over what to do about the barn for longer than usual. Mainly because I was thinking it was going to cost double what it actually cost - $3600 plus I couldn't imagine getting anyone reliable out to do such a job. I guess the lesson is to go out and ask around before thinking something is impossible.

Jobs like this just seemed so huge to me, that I can't imagine I could afford to have them done or heaven forbid attempt them myself. Now roof stuff - forget it :eek: , but it encourages me to try other building/fixing chores even if I have no clue where to start. These four guys were done by 3:30 with the whole thing and did it with a couple of very basic tools - even borrowed some of mine (roofers generally don't carry bow saws, axes and pruning saws for logging!). Sure surprised those guys when they commented on the rotted timbers and I trudged off into the woods with a bow saw and ax and came back with new poles. :haha:

I have so much to learn about building and fixing and improvising, but little by little it all adds up!

11. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

What a great barn and a great roof! I HATE IT when I saw barns falling apart simply because somebody didn't do any upkeep on them! This should serve you well for many many many more years! Congratulations! I don't blame you for being excited over the new roof!

12. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

Way to go Debbie! How cool! I know the feeling, I had my barn roof re-done and expanded for a new sheep area about 5 years ago.... it's a wonderful feeling, knowing your animals/birds will have a dry, secure home during our VERY wet winters here!