My baby goats DOA got some ?s

Discussion in 'Goats' started by centexguy, Apr 5, 2005.

1. centexguy

centexguy Well-Known Member

Out of 4 baby goats this year I have one survivor. #1 premature/ too cold, #2 billy killed it I think(didnt know they would do that)#3 10weeks doing well so far(I keep her and mother in their own pen, unless Im right there) I am new to goats,but Im learning. This morning the new baby Ive been waiting for was born dead. A hand that works for me called me early this morning said she was in labor said the head was out but it looked dead. I got there in about 10 minutes and pulled him out. I was hoping maybe twins but he was it, a really nice looking little billy but he was gone.The mother has a huge milk bag and is acting ok, but she is very weak in the back legs. i dont think she pushed all the afterbirth out yet and Im alittle concerned. I tried to put my other baby goat on her to help but she wouldnt take her at all. shes 10weeks old now so its probably good that she didnt.Is there something I could give her to dry her up and help her get out that afterbirth? How long should it take?

2. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

Sorry for your losses.

We've always thought no more than 12 hours. It's good to check on her every so often. We've never had the afterbirth expell longer than 2 hours later.

I've also read "several hours"

Milking her might help with the contractions to continue so she can get that out. Don't help pull it out if it does start to come. Gravity helps it best and sometimes it seems like forever.

3. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

I would keep milking her as that will help expell afterbirth. Watch her closely to make sure she doesnt develop an infection. Look for off-behavior, and a temp.

Is there any particular reason you want her dried up? Personally, I would prefer to keep milking her.

4. centexguy

centexguy Well-Known Member

She is a Boer goat. I dont want to have to milk her. The vet told me yesterday to watch for signs of infection. She is doing ok today but still very weak in her back legs. I guess I need to get a thermometer and check her temp tomorrow.

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Did all your goats have singals? Thats a sign of poor nutrition....

Do they have minerals available? Baking soda? Selenium levels in your area?

6. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

There are many things that we don't want to do but milking her will help. You don't have to milk her forever but just maybe a day or two.

Boers are more difficult to milk because of their teet size. I understand why you dont' want to milk her.