Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built an aviary out of donated material. The 12 6X6 posts came from the destruction of a barn by a tornado. I could have them for hauling them off. The rest of the material I had laying around. I have peacocks, guineas and quail to go in it. Here's how it went in photos

Drilling the post holes with my Allis Chalmers WD and Allis Chalmers post auger

Standing up the posts and bracing them square

Erecting the hedgewood perches with the WD and loader

Putting on the wire

I let the guineas out during the day. They keep the ticks down.

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,849 Posts
Nice!!

What do you do in the winter...do get much snow and cold down there?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They have a place to go inside, but they're birds. They roost in the trees no matter what the weather; rain, snow or ice. I put plywood on the north side to block the wind. Eventually I'm going to roof it. Been collecting barn boards and tin for years. I have all the materials and my Mennonite neighbors have offered to help me put the roof on.

Nice!!

What do you do in the winter...do get much snow and cold down there?

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
Very nice. I like your old homestead. I built all my buildings from old lumber and pallets to look old. Low doorways to duck through. Lean to sheds on the larger hay and goat barn. Rabbit hutches in a 6'x12' leanto. Chicken coop leanto, and my pigeon flyway and cages under the eaves. All board and batten siding with used roofing metal. All straight and plumb but minimal post construction, no paint needed....James

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,849 Posts
They have a place to go inside, but they're birds. They roost in the trees no matter what the weather; rain, snow or ice. I put plywood on the north side to block the wind. Eventually I'm going to roof it. Been collecting barn boards and tin for years. I have all the materials and my Mennonite neighbors have offered to help me put the roof on.
Ahhh.....I didn't see that it was attached to the building.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts