My auction buck

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Michael W. Smith, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

I bought a buck last year in late October at the auction barn for $67.50. No special breed or anything, just a buck for breeding purposes (I know, I know, I can hear you breeders rolling your eyes and sighing!).

Lastnight I took him back to sell him since he has done his "thing".

He sold for $79.00 of which $4.00 will go to the auction house for commission. I did feed him through the winter, but he did get 4 does pregnant for me, so I feel that I made out in the bargain.

Now, just waiting on the kids to get here!!

2. Gary

Gary Member

Good thing is the way the goat meat market is if you don't like the kids you can sell them for good money. I have people buy bucks from me mostly Boer/Kiko
    crosses that I sell for $25 to $50 over meat price and then sell them for meat so they don't have to deal with/maintain an older buck

3. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

I guess this is the reason why I now have 3 bucks when I really only need 1 for our 4 does. Feel sorry for bucks..guesss that is why I will never make a million $$'s in the goat business. :( But I suppose this is the real world and this is how things must be.

4. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

i can relate i have 3 maybe im shouldnt be in the animal business oh and not to mention the 2 wethered boys that were just to sweet to sell

5. NewlandNubians

NewlandNubians Well-Known Member

Well I guess I'm in a different situation than most... I bought a "name brand" buck in November and I've studded him out several times now and he's almost paid for himself <grin> Good boy he is. He's bred to a good deal of my does also. I'm definitely not going to get rid of him, I used to buy a buck and sell him and make money that way after I was done using him. I got burned doing that when I had a buck that crossed really well with my herd and threw some super nice udders. The man who I sold him to would not let me buy him back or trade even for new blood. lesson learned.

6. Michael W. Smith

Hmmmmm. Some of you must think I don't have a heart. I have 2 wethered males myself. I bought one specifically to put in the freezer. The other one was born here. :eek:

However, there does come a time as your herd increases that you realize you can't keep them all. :no:

I have a wether that was born last year that will going in the freezer. I don't know if I could take one to auction that I raised. When I bought this buck last fall, I already knew he would go back to the auction.

Of course, having 4 does pregnant might have me change my mind on raising them and taking them to the auction. If they all give birth to twin bucks, I can't eat that many!! :eek:

Currently I have a total of 9 goats which includes the 2 older wethered pets and the 1 younger one destined for the freezer. (The other 3 young ladies were born last summer and didn't get pregnant.)

Kind of funny that I have that many now. 8 years ago I started with 1 doe just for milking. The 1 oldest wether I bought. The others were born on the place!

7. NewlandNubians

NewlandNubians Well-Known Member

I don't think you are without a heart. I have butchered my own goats before. I last sold a full grown buck for $120 to a Jamaican guy who enjoyed eating him in his full rutting glory. He was getting mean and I got tired of his attitude. I don't do mean goats. Sometimes it's better to eat them or sell them than to keep too many and not take as good care of them as you would like to.

8. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

You did good. I think I've done something wrong if I don't buy high and sell low. :haha:

9. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Hi Michael...yep you know whats coming :)

You made a profit by keeping a buck at your place all winter to breed your does.....$8.50

The 4 does are bred.....$50 times 4, or $200

If he didn't give your CL, CAE, Mycoplasma, Chlamydia, Q fever, Johnnes or resistant parasties..................PRICELESS!! :) Vicki

10. Michael W. Smith

Yes, Vicki, thankyou for your vote of confidence! ;)

I'm sure I am taking a chance getting a buck that I know nothing about. Leave it up to Vicki to show you what chances you are taking! (Love you anyway, Vicki!!!!!)

Since I kept him for 5 months, he did get to live that much longer!!! Meat man was trying to buy him in October and finally succeeded. By now, I'm afraid Mr. Goat is hanging in a freezer somewhere. However, he WILL live on now!!

11. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

Michael , just a thought , next time , you know in spring you can generally buy a purebred buckling for around 50-75.00 vicki , how much do you sell your dropped bucks for again , and you have a waiting list every year????

i do know i personally dont keep older bucks, i have one who is nearly 8 months now, he will be our stud this fall, and next year, and i already have him traded to another breeder for one of her bucks, after that , i wont say how much i paid for him , cause it was a barter deal with a dear friend

what is important is this , if youre breeding your goats, i assume this means youre keeping the does, and perhaps some of the kids, the source of that semen at first thought might not be important
    however, i ALWAYS try to aim for breed improvement, EVEN if im just breeding grade does!!!
    in fact thats how i started, grade does are just that, grade, but i breed a grade doe to her closest appearign breed, say a white big doe to a pure reg. ++*Buck....well, i know 2 things, the buck has the semen that tells me my kids out of her will most likely be better milker than her, BUT and this part is tricky for many to get, th better the buck i breed her to , the better her LIFELONG lactation curve will be
    now while this doesnt matter AS much in meat goats, it does matter more than most have let on .
    any old buckling, of boer breeding can be used, and youll get goatlings that look like boers and will sell for boer prices, but say he has 4 teats, pretty common in some lines of meat goats ... so he has a tendency to pass this on to his kids, which again , if youre selling ALL kids thats fine, but if youre growing your herd size, which lets face it ,most goat owners are, then his genetics arent something you want to keep

what it breaks down to is, hey you got your does bred, from a buck, and thats what you need to produce either kids or milk, but i think your choice of retaining kids is probobly not as good as had you simply gotten a decent buck to breed them with

sorry charlie , i agree with vicki on this one ,
    you basicly just had a 5 moths sperm donor on the farm ,you have no idea what kind of kids youre gonna get from him

Beth