My aquaponic greenhouse plans

Discussion in 'Hydroponics / Aquaponics' started by rininger85, Mar 4, 2016.

1. rininger85

rininger85 Well-Known Member

I haven't taken any recent pictures of things in the greenhouse but my tomato and pepper plants in there have gone crazy. The tomatoes have grown to the ceiling and I've trellised them off on an angle creating a canopy then I topped them to try and get them to stop growing and start fruiting. I think since it has stayed consistently 82F in the greenhouse all summer long that the tomatoes have actually been kind of slow at setting fruit (or it could be that I was overzealous pruning them), now the temperature is getting down in the 70's in the greenhouse at night and the tomatoes are starting to set fruit a lot faster, plus the peppers are ripening. I have started a bunch of lettuces again to start filling my DWC bed up as it start cooling in the greenhouse.

The garden is still going good. We've made a lot of improvements to the garden this year. We've put down mulch in most of the garden to cover the weed mat, so it looks pretty awesome out there now. We still need to put some more down once we pull up our vine crops for the year.

IMG_20170815_204901127_TOP.jpg
    Yesterday I expanded the garden fence out another 16ft. We decided we are going to add a PVC hoophouse this fall to give us more room to start seeds in the spring. I cut back some weeds to reclaim part of the field, mowed, picked rocks, mowed again, picked rocks again, then put down the plastic that I had left (was supposed to be for making low tunnels over the raised beds, so I'll have to get more in the next couple of weeks to be ready to extend our season in the garden with low tunnels over the beds). I have a little bit of weed mat left that I will put over the plastic, but it didn't hold up great against the weeds until we mulched, so I figured I would put plastic down first then weed mat over it should hopefully suffocate weeds, then once we get the hoophouse up and have everything mulched again we can poke holes through the plastic to allow for drainage. Ran out of plastic so didn't get the whole area covered yesterday.
    IMG_20170827_114338777.jpg

So here we are starting to plan next year's garden already. The brown beds shown here are existing beds we're growing in this year, we are going to add a few more beds because we are going to move our permanent crops in to the garden. The beds on the side running perpendicular to the rest of the beds will be asparagus, strawberries, and rhubarb because they are not growing well where we have them now, so we are going to move them in to raised beds this fall to hopefully give them better growing soil. The bare space between beds and the new hoophouse will remain empty for growing our zucs, gourds, cucs etc, but I think I will add trellising for them next year so we can grow more with less space.
    gardenplan2018.png

The new hoophouse will be 16ft wide x 40ft long which puts the center about 8ft tall (well I'm actually debating about going 19ft wide which would put the center 10ft tall, I need to make sure we will be able to stand in the walkways of the 16ft wide version, otherwise I'll go with 30ft hoops instead of 25ft hoops to get more height). We will have one large raised bed in the middle which will be 25ft long x 6ft wide. We will have a 4x8ft work table at the far end of the hoophouse and benches along both south and north sides for setting seed trays on... the main reason for this hoophouse really is for seed starting space because we ran out of space quickly in the 16x16 winter greenhouse... so this will give us more room to start seeds in the spring as well as doing the additional growbeds to experiment with what grows best where because we should be capable of a few different climates next year with this addition... we can grow in the small greenhouse which we've seen stays about 82F all summer long even at night, then we'll have the hoophouse which I imagine will be closer to 100F during the day but cool considerably at night, then we'll have the outdoor beds in the garden which will be open but can be covered for early planting and late harvest.

I am planning on putting an IBC tote inside the hoophouse with the current plan being that I will plumb a drain and use it for watering the beds in the hoophouse. I currently am dumping fish tank water on the ground out of my fish tanks in our house, so I will pump that water out to this IBC when I do water changes and use it to water the beds in the hoophouse.
    secondgreenhouse.png

2. rininger85

Haven't done a very good job of posting pictures this summer so here's a few from the past few weeks.

[​IMG]

Solar Geek likes this.

3. rininger85

Looking through the canopy before I butchered my plants about a week ago... Was starting to see gray mold so I thinned them out to get better airflows

[​IMG]

Solar Geek likes this.
  4. rininger85

After thinning. I might have gone too far, I am going to lower them down and restring them so they aren't just in the peak. It might be getting too cold now for them to have much growth but still tomatoes ripening.

[​IMG]

5. Riverdale

Riverdale Well-Known Member

Can you share your plans for your hoop house?

6. Riverdale

Riverdale Well-Known Member

I do got to get down and see your set up. It's only about 45 minutes........

7. rininger85