My apricot is blossoming!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Bruce in NE, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago I cut branches from 2 apricot trees to see if they would root in water. I also put a willow branch in the water to perhaps help rooting. Now, one of the apricot branches has a bunch of blossoms on it! The other apricot branch from another tree has yet to show signs of blossoming. The willow twig is on the left. Both apricot slips have very tiny roots. Is this unusual behavior or what? The leaf buds show no sign of swelling. Both apricots are the edible nut variety.

Any ideas??

[​IMG]Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

That is cool! No it is not unusual, but cool, nevertheless! Are you going to plant them out? (Not sure what your ? was. Apricots tend to flower and then get leaves if that was what you were wondering.)

3. Bruce in NE

Yes I'm going to pot them and plant outside when it gets warm.

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Many shrubs and trees that bloom can have cut branches of them "forced" to bloom.

kitty willow, forsythia, lilac and others are often forced to use in arrangements.

5. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

It is an old Catholic Christmas custom for unmarried persons to cut branches from a cherry tree on December 4, the Feast of St. Barbara. The branches are placed in water and if the branches bloom on Christmas Day, it is said that the person will get married in the coming year. In any case, the blooming branches are a pretty table decoration for Christmas dinner.

6. Bruce in NE

Vicki,

It is an old Catholic Christmas custom for unmarried persons to cut branches from a cherry tree on December 4, the Feast of St. Barbara. The branches are placed in water and if the branches bloom on Christmas Day, it is said that the person will get married in the coming year. In any case, the blooming branches are a pretty table decoration for Christmas dinner.

I planted them after Xmas. Does that mean I've missed out on the hitchin' wagon for this year?

7. Sandhills

Sandhills Well-Known Member

Bruce,
    Where did you find the sweet pit variety? I had a tree that I had bought from Gurney's several years ago that was doing fantastic and then our hired man ran it down. It broke just above the ground. I've been searching for the last couple years to replace it. Gurney's doesn't carry them anymore.

8. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Sounds like you're safe for another year :D

9. Bruce in NE

10. Sandhills

Sandhills Well-Known Member

Bruce,
    Thanks a lot. I had tried internet searches several times and couldn't come up with much. I asked at the local garden store but they didn't know what I was talking about. I really appreciate the info.