Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I have 6 goats; 2 Nubian mixes, 4 Boers.
I use them to clear the overgrowth and bring back the land from fallow to productive status.
Tried to rent a stud goat to get the girls preggers, but none of them seemed interested, and not for a lack of his trying!
I have had them for a year and a half. Been using 42inch tall polutry electric portable fencing, and a 1 joule energizer.
Have not had a problem with them . . . till a few weeks ago. They decided to have an election and voted ME as the new herd leader. I could not get 20ft of them without them jumping the fence and following me. Had to lead them out of the fields, down to the barn and keep them there till I got a new 63inch tall Deer Fence, and 2 joule energizer.
Aside that one issue, they have been great.
Does anyone have any advice for AI? I can do medical stuff (EMT certified, Wilderness EMT certified) no worries.
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Buy a buckling born early this spring, use him for breeding and the put him in the freezer. It is just coming breeding season, Nubians are seasonal breeders....they will start coming into heat right along. If not bred, goats come back into heat in @ 17 days. If you were trying to breed in the summer..too early!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buy a buckling born early this spring, use him for breeding and the put him in the freezer. It is just coming breeding season, Nubians are seasonal breeders....they will start coming into heat right along. If not bred, goats come back into heat in @ 17 days. If you were trying to breed in the summer..too early!
Last year I "rented" the stud goat for the last week of Aug, through the first full week in OCT. So, he could of covered the girls during the time of when they come into heat.

Everything I have read says I could get the AI seman at first sign of them coming into heat and adminster once the straws arrive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts