My 8 year old x maltese is itchy

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by maralyn, Jan 5, 2007.

1. maralyn

maralyn Well-Known Member

My 8 year old x maltese has got terrible itchy skin. She has suffered with skin problems all her life just about. However I changed her diet only home cooked beef with rice or pasta and science diet, the one for skin conditions. She seemed to be getting better, bathing in special shampoo. She also has frontline plus as well as Capstar flea tablets. She is still scooting along the cement and making her bum very red to the point where it bleeds. She is also wormed so its not worms. I am sick of paying out vet bills. Does anyone have the same problem.

2. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

Have her anal glands been checked? Dogs will butt scoot when those glands are full and bothersome.

3. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 Well-Known Member

My mother has one of those dogs and it is horrible. It stinks and its skin is flaking off, it has sores. The dog is real old and mom informed me that it now has tumor like things growing on its stomach. I have begged her for a year now to have it put down. She will not do it. She loves that dog but it is suffereing. She has not took it to the vet for the growths yet. I dont know why she hasnt. She says she cant put it to sleep. If you find out what is wrong with your dog, please pm me so I can tell my mom.
    Susie

4. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

Most itching is caused by allergies either to enviromental causes, parasites or food. If you are positive there is not fleas (get out the flea comb to check even if you use preventative treatments) then I would start looking at diet. Corn is a high allergen in lots of dogs, as is wheat and soy. Read the SD label- you will see corn or corn gluten. Try switching her to a kibble without the high allergen ingredients and only one source of protein (chicken or lamb). There are many good ones out there, to name a few- nutro natural, canidae and sensible choice. Give it about a month for improvement.
    You may also want to think about what you use around the house that she could come in contact with- carpet powders, carpet shampoo (may cause irritaion even after dry), fertilizers, etc.

5. maralyn

Yes, thanks will try different food, could be the washing detergent I use to wash her bed clothes in. Could also be an allergic reaction to fly bites as there are those annoying little flies around. We live in Australia and at the moment it is very hot and humid. I washed her again today, I am trying not to wash her too much as it takes the oil out of her skin but at the same time the Vet told me to was her in a special shampoo Malisib. Her fur was starting to grow around her bum but now she is scooting on the cement she rubbed it raw again. Can't walk her as she lays down on the ground and rubs her stomach, so you end up dragging her along the ground on her stomach the whole way, its a lovely sight people think I am killing her as they see this woman dragging a dog along the ground so I finish up carrying her. My other dog a poodle thinks she is quite mad.

6. Pyrenees

Pyrenees Well-Known Member

If she is scooting...there is a very good chance she has full/impacted/infected anal glands which would require a vet visit. If her glands are full...the vet can show you how to empty them at home for future reference.

7. PinkBat

PinkBat Well-Known Member

You mentioned she rubs her stomach on the ground too. Does she have red skin around her muzzle, belly, and feet? And does she put out a different, unique odor now? Does she scratch constantly?

I went through that with a Boston Terrier. The vet said allergy....but it was up to me to figure out what kind of allergy. It took me several months of changing diet, detergents and floor cleaners until I finally figured out the dog had a grass allergy.

8. maralyn

Yes, I think she maybe allergic to just about anything. She also throws up bile now and again, so I elevate her dish so she is sort of standing with her front legs up on a step to eat, that way she does not bring her food up after she has eaten. When my son forgets and puts her food down on the level, she usually throws up bile. :