My 77 f250, is Alive...(again)!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by fordy, Oct 14, 2004.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................As I have stated previously I've been reworking the power steering system on 77 , F250 , 4x4 ford truck . I bought this truck in July of '01 . Since I'm NOT a mechanic this was a serious undertaking for ME . Alittle background , first I and a friend\mechanic completely rebuilt the engine in May of '02 . New brakes , new ball joints , ujoints , headders , new exhaust system , rebuilt transfer case , new centerforce clutch , new MSD ignition\Distributor , etc .
    ................So , the power steering system on ford trucks with 4x4 was Completely revamped in April of 77 , in the middle of the production year . They added a standard power steering gearbox instead of the old style control valve\slave cylinder system . The power valve never really worked right after extended usage on the truck and Parts are almost impossible to find . So , I removed the left front qtr panel , the front grill that holds the radiator and went to work . I bought a used 77.5, 78-79 power steering box and spent considerable time getting it mounted to where it would move the front wheels without any conflicts . Anyway , this truck has been stationary inside my garage since July of '03 . I , also had to reset the intake manifold , etc . So , it has been sitting immobile for 15 months . I reconnected all the wiring and plumbing , put gas in the tank , and fired her over....the darn engine kicked off immediately...I was amazed . No leaks , the articulation of my new PS system worked great . So , to say I've had a Good day is an understatement .
    ...............Now , as soon as I can get all the body parts reconnected , get an inspection sticker , I'll have a 2nd. truck to drive IF my 99 PSD diesel quits on me . I Might have been a fair mechanic if I had started out in a garage about 30 years back and worked under a person with alot of patience. Anyway , that's my little effort at chest pounding for the week . Oh , this truck gets about 10 mpg . ....fordy... :eek: :)

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

A BIG WTG!!!!!! from here.You have a truck that should last many years now.Congratulations!
    PS,I felt real good too when I finished up with the overhaul on our old Winnebago,a 79,those old trucks are awesome!
    BooBoo

3. GW

GW Member

I just did this steering conversion about a month ago on my F250. It was alot of work but well worth it. I used a steering box from a 2wd. What kind of headers do you have? I want to put some on mine but having trouble finding ones that fit the early 77 w/351-400.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

........................GW , I ordered a set of Sanderson Headers . They are very hi quality . They , are actually , made for the 351 Cleveland but Sanderson provides a heavyduty copper flange that reduces the port size for the 351m\400 engine series . These headers are the block hugger style which makes running an exhaust system very easy when compared with full length headers . (800-669-2430).......good luck with your truck . ...fordy... :eek: :)