My $75 barn

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by caryatid, Mar 24, 2005.

1. caryatid

caryatid Well-Known Member

Hello all!
    Quite a while ago I had mentioned my barn which was made with lots of recycled materials. It cost me about $75 total for those few supplies we needed to purchase. It was built for me by a single friend who's only "payment" was a homecooked meal every night. (Note: my husband is a wonderful man, but construction just is not his thing.)

My friend, Mark, is in the process of putting together a website of his woodworking, and he has a whole section of pictures of my barn. The site is incomplete, and most of the links don't work yet- I'm taking you in the secret back door. *shhh* Don't tell!

http://www.woodcycle.com/photos/gallery_barn.php

The dimentions are about 12x12....I can't remember how tall it is..about 16 feet?
    There are three seperate coops with their own runs, and enough room for a small sheep shelter and *tiny* bit of storage. Big enough for now. :) It was designed so we can add on to it later.

2. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

That's a good looking little building you have there. Where in New Mexico are you located at? It's always nice to see another New Mexican on here. :)

Nik

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the link! The pictures are very inspiring! In fact, I saved the link and will be sharing with DD and MIL.

Pony!

4. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

What a nice barn. I'd say you have a perfect friend.

5. caryatid

Thanks!
    We are in Edgewood. Just moved here from ABQ a little over a year ago, so this is the first spring I'm actually going to attempt a garden. Had to spend last year getting the area ready. I just can't get used to this "soil". (I'm originally from Indiana).

Where are you?

6. caryatid

*LOL* Oh, he is the sweetest guy. The kind who will stop on the highway to help a stranger change a tire. (He even had flashing warning lights installed on his truck just for cases like that). But he is far from perfect. :)

Building the barn was his own strange therapy. He was going through a divorce- he lost not only a wife, but the real heartbreak was his stepdaughter (who he had raised since she was 2). He is a city boy, we of course are out in the country. We were his escape. He got to "get away from it all" and building something let him work out everything (physically and emotionally).

We do stuff like this for each other. :) We trade off major projects. He builds me a barn, I scrub and reorganize his house after a divorce. It works.
    :)

7. caryatid

I don't konw if you can see from the pictures but the walls are made with pallets, and then covered with metal sheeting.

Most materials are recycled from other projects- the lower part of the front wall is an old garage door. The interior dividers are made from wooden crates we took apart. Some other things either he already had, or we found them on www.freecycle.org

8. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Nice barn! I think it's just perfect for what you need it! Your friend did a good job on it! And building things is wonderful therapy.

9. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

I'm down in Dexter which is about 15 minutes south of Roswell. I know what you mean on the ground out here, I'm from Illinois. I've been here going on 4 years now and it still leaves me baffled trying to get stuff to grow.

Nik

10. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Thats an amazing little structure for 75.00. Very workmanlike and it looks very weather tight too. And 12 x 12 isnt huge but certain big enough for a person to live in for a few months or longer if you were just getting started on a Homestead.
    Your friend could have built a four room house for under 300.00 at that rate. Pallets are usually free for the taking too. He could prolly earn a living traveling about and building such places for all the new homesteaders on this board who want a quick and easy place to live. Im really very impressed. :worship: :)