My 1st cull in the am

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by straight shot, Oct 27, 2006.

1. straight shot

straight shot Well-Known Member

Boy I think I can do it. LOL I have pair of Flemish Giants. Well Miss Lilly had her first litter and had 8 kits. Monday they will be 2 weeks old. One of the kits is not doing so well, it's way smaller than the others, so I need to dispatch it. Any suggestions on how to cull a baby with out feeling bad about it? I know it's part of life. But these are my very first kits.

Thanks for understanding. Everyone here on this board is so helpful I really appreciate all the questions us newbie's have to raising rabbits.

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Is there anything wrong with the kit or is he just a runt? If he seems healthy and lively, I would just let him stay with momma an extra week or two when you wean the others. He may never really catch up, but he'll still taste just as good.

You might want to take a look at Al. Countryboy's recent thread "Need a little help" as it deals with culling kits with ether and also my thread "Dispatching rabbits with ether." We've been discussing the whole culling topic a lot.

3. straight shot

straight shot Well-Known Member

This kit would not make a good rabbit, no way of catching up. Looks new born yet. The others eyes are opening and they are fat and big. Thanks for the reply.

4. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

That's too bad. It does sound as though culling is the right thing to do in this case. If it is that small and weak, I think I would try the ether (starter fluid). It will probably go quickly and painlessly.

5. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

Sometimes my flemish have such large litters that one or two of the kits is much smaller. I've gotten into the habit of fostering these kits out onto a mini-rex, there's no way that they can compete with their larger flemish litter mates. I've just gotten into Harlequins and plan to do the same in the future with them, Harlequins are awesome moms, often right from the first litter. The little flemish kits usually do well with their mini-rex mom, their just smaller. I always breed all my does at the same time so that I can play musical babies if I have to. I'd euth the babe with ether.