Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least for the weekend that is!

Friday evening she brought home a little baby girl. A simulated baby girl doll from her high school Home Economics class. She has to take care of it as if it is a real baby. It cries when it's hungry, cries when it needs burped, cries when it needs her diaper changed, and cries when it wants to be held. It's demonic I tell you! It cried twice during the night when we were all trying to sleep.

But it also coo's and giggles every once in a while.

My wife thinks all the boys in high school should be required to take one home with them for the weekend. Thinks maybe they would be a little more careful around girls.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Here, were I live, boys ARE required to take home a baby. Funny though, I have seen kids mom's dropping off "baby" at school for the kids on Mondays, guess some mom's are taking on the care of the baby once it gets home. Makes you wonder if taking a baby home really makes an impact.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had to take home one of those things for the weekend. I remember taking it to "Thunder Alley" (kind of like a big party held at the local bowling alley every weekend with a DJ, novelty lights, loud music, etc). It's hard to hear them cry over the booming soundsystem blasting Metallica. LOL

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My DS had this twice as a part of health classes. The teacher used a plastic wristband with a nonremoveable snap to keep the kids from passing baby to the parents. He had one baby that slept well and another that kept him awake for 3 days. He did an excellent job and was the top caregiver of his class each time. I did not make it easy for him and insisted he shop with me, study and do his chores but he realized how hard it was to take care of a baby.

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
I got lucky. since we weren't so high tech when my DD was in high school, her 'baby' was an egg. she named it Eggatha...gave it a face....but since eggs are seldom unruly, it wasn't such a great 'baby care' experience. my DD would have LOVED that doll! lol

the boys had to do it, and yes......a few of their eggs got broken. :)

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
I had to do the egg project. I think it was supposed to show the kids how fragile a baby was, but I can honestly say that the message didn't hit home with any of the kids in my class. The realistic baby is a much better educational tool.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Boy, your title scared me for a minute. I just watched a show the other day about woman giving birth who didn't even know they were pregnant. :eek: I think this a very good idea for both girls and boys. Having my nephews children last year, then ages 2 and 6, cemented in my daughter's minds, then 16 and 19, why they are staying chaste until marriage. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
I don't think this works.
My neice had to do this twice. She also has a sister that was born when she was 12 that she was VERY involved (too much so ) in the care of. She got pregnant at 16. She was devestated. She knows she does not want to be a mother. She knows what it takes. She has had no joy in this pregnancy at all.

It wouldn't have affected my kids at all in their choices. They just aren't real. They aren't a deterent. Kids will make the same choices no matter whether they had the fake doll or not.

I have been raising someone's babies longer than I should admit. I got pregnant as soon as I turned 18. I had the real thing keeping me up nights and hindering my activities when I was a teen and the only thing it did was make me want my own that no one could take from me.

·
Premium Member
16,652 Posts
LOL Congratulations. I homeschool, so wasn't able to do this with my DD. BUT, I did have her take care of an egg. Whe had to find sitters for it and I set the alarm clock for 2 am feedings, ect. I think it made her realize that taking care of a newborn is not as easy as some believe. She also helped out with my special needs DS. So she got a good dose of reality. She is now in the USAF and married. They plan on waiting till she is out of the military before they begin their family. He plans on staying in till he retires.

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As someone who is often critical of public school & what it doesn't teach anymore, I think this is the best program since...math!

Patty
Really, I'm not so sure about this. Before this class my daughter would always say "I'm not ever gonna have a baby, I don't want a baby coming out of my b*^^!

But this weekend her motherly instincts is really showing and she seems to really be enjoying setting around and holding it all the time. Even if it did keep crying all night long last night.

Kind of got me scared, I'm afraid this might make her interested in bringing home a real baby early in life.:hand:

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
But this weekend her motherly instincts is really showing and she seems to really be enjoying setting around and holding it all the time. Even if it did keep crying all night long last night.
I noticed that too, in high school... some kids hated the darn thing, some pulled a total 180 and wanted to be parents. Yeah, because a DOLL is so realistic, lol. *says she who just got her nine week old crankypants to sleep* Dolls don't pinch, scratch, bite with their toothless gums, pee on you and themselves just as you get them out of the bath...

But too, the real article giggles and grins and kicks with joy... so much more of a payoff when you've been up six times in three hours to tend him. :D

Hmm, does this doll spit up? Or is Dad just waiting around the corner with a cup of milk to toss at her just as she's gotten dressed in her last clean shirt?

G

·
They need to make one that has "realistic diaper action", too.

My nephew had to have one. The teacher plugs it into the computer and it tells you how long it took for it to get picked up when crying and how often it was "fed" and changed. It can also tell if it got swung around or handled too rough. He did really good with his, but he's such a good kid to begin with.

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I wished I had planned things out ahead of time. I should have let some milk set around somewhere and sour for a few days to use for burping. And come up with something to use for baby poop that would stink bad. Sneak these on the baby so she would know what it was really like to care for such a small infant. Also, everytime she had to feed or change the diaper have her to throw a dollar in the pot so she would have a ideal of the expense of raising a child.

·
Also known as Jean
1,509 Posts
My DD had one of these babies last year as part of her child development class (Freshman). She had her "baby" over a weekend and it was very rough for her. It seemed like it got fussier and fussier the longer she had it, and by Sunday night she had a HUGE meltdown with it when it screamed a looonnngggg time in the middle of the night.

Most of the kids had theirs for one night during the week and were able to drop it off with the instructor while they were in class.

It did the trick, however --- she has sworn not to have children until she is married.

·
just me
1,770 Posts
I have one problem with these dolls, my friend's daughter brought one home and everything that my friend advised her to do for calming the doll was a no no by school policy. You aren't allowed to let the child cry it out for starters and even though I don't agree with doing that for newborns a slightly older child won't be impaired by waiting till Mom gets done in the bathroom before getting its bottle. At least with the program her school used, the doll that cried all night would've failed her for the grading period. I worked one better with my kid, since May we babysat a baby boy and his disabled older brother and my daughter was the babies main caregiver.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My daughter had to do it last year also and she had a big meltdown at about 3 in the morning because it was waking her every hour. It was all I could do to keep from snickering but I did use the moment to tell her that is just the tip of the iceberg if that is a real baby. She has also sworn not to have kids for a long time!!

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
My son's school does this also - but only if you take Home Ec. or Home Science or what ever it's called now a days.

When I was in school our "babies" were a 5 pound sack of flour.....:help: We covered it with fabric & you could dress it up....:eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts