Muzzle loading pistol

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Arnold, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Arnold

Arnold Member

I enjoy hunting deer with a pistol and I would like to try hunting with a muzzle loading pistol. My question: Is there a muzzle loading pistol out there that can deliver a lethal blow to a deer sized animal at about 50 yards??

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

ML pistols arent legal here but many have enough power. Id try a 50 cal single shot if I were going to hunt with one

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

The Black Powder revolvers aren't Legal here but the Muzzleloading Pistols are and I would go with 50 or 54 Cal.

big rockpile

5. tn_junk

tn_junk Living Simply

I have a .44 cal black powder revolver that I carry when I muzzle load hunt. As an addition to my .50 cal rifle (for a finishing shot, if needed), not instead of. My pistol is very accurate, as long as you are no more than 6 feet away from what you are aiming at. :D
    Tried to find a good single shot .50, but don't seem to be anymore out there.

galump.

6. tnhomestead

tnhomestead Well-Known Member

I carry the ruger 45 for backup for bear and use it to hunt deer -- accurate and extremely powerful, I have loaded over 60 grains of primer powder in behind a .457 round ball, andd over 50 grains behind a wadcutter. The manual says any load of black powder is safe as long as the bullet seats fully.
    That said, I too want a 50 or 54 single shot!

7. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

As an owner of a Lyman's .54 cal plains pistol, 60 gr w/patched round ball is about all I would shoot also.
    Gives a good punch, but not very accurate past 25 yards. 40 gr seem to shoot alot better.
    Not legal though.

8. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

I've made several in the past. I would find a really cheap percussion 54 rifle and lop off the barrel to about 14". Then i would bob the stock and fit on a TC Contender grip because I have plenty of them. Stick the front sight back on, fit on a barrel band off an old military rifle, and load it up. They are brutal, and lots of fun. They really twist from the rifling torque when a big Maxie ball leaves. I've never hunted with one, I think they would be legal for lion here but never checked.