mutilated tomatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by suelandress, Aug 29, 2004.

1. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

our early girls and romas came out like nice normal tomatoes....however....the beefsteaks are all mutilated....some look like three or four small tomatoes all grown together....they are huge, but you can barely get a decent slice out of them because the stem end is sunk so deep into the "lobes"....others look like pickles!!!
    they got the same treatment as the rest.....what causes this? :confused:

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Mine did the same, and all I planted was them and cherries. The first two or three were fine. The rest have gone to the chickens. :waa: I don't know what causes it, but I don't like it!

Meg :)

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Odd shapes and large ugly fruit is common among many of the beefsteak types. Invariably, it's only the first few fruit which are that way. It's almost as if they have some foolishness in them and they must get that out of the way first before getting down to serious business. If you had noticed them while still in the blossom stage, those flowers would have been probably at least twice normal size. Some growers claim that they may be double or triple flowers but most are just extra large blossoms. This year, the first few fruit off my Ponderosa Pink have been huge things well over a pound. However, deeply ribbed and look more like a pink scalloped squash and with a deep core. All later fruit are going to be either smooth or just slightly ribbed. My prized Wisconsin 55s will often first produce several fruit at a pound or larger. After that, they settle down to producing normal 6 to 12 ounce fruit.

Martin

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Unfortunately, we've had such a cold wet summer that other than the first mutilated ones, we'll be lucky to get a second flush. Sigh. At least the early girls are preforming well and the romas are going nuts! Tomatoe sauce, tomato soup, salsa.........