mutant rose, and a worm..

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by lonelyfarmgirl, Jun 8, 2006.

1. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

OK, two seperate questions.
    First, I purchased and planted a Jackson and Perkins Tropicana rose bush 4 years ago. First three years were wonderful, orange, intoxicating blossoms. Well, this is year four, and there were more buds than normal. I wondered at how well it was doing, then it bloomed, and it is now a wild red rambler!?!?!?
    Any thoughts?

Second question. My mom found a worm in her lavendar bush. It was 10 inches long, gray with white at each end, and thin as a piece of very thick hair. It moved in swirling circular motions. Now she is afraid to walk barefoot in her yard. What is it?

2. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I'd guess that the top, grafted-on part of your rose died and that the new growth is from the base...the part that it was grafted to.

No guess on the worm...sounds creepy, though!

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Agree with mammabooh on the rose: Your root stock is growing up. Did you have drought last Summer, or bitter cold over Winter?

As for that worm -- YUCK!!! ICKY!!! UGH!!

I don't know what it is, and hope someone else can identify it! Is it like the horsehair worm that had us marveling last week?

Pony!

4. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Sounds like that horsehair worm to me - but I couldn't remember the name of it. Ick! But fortunately not harmful.

5. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

That was my first thought too. That happened to one of my mother's roses. That "wild red rambler" is now growing on a trellis against the house, and is pretty when it's in full bloom in the springtime. It's blooming season is pretty short, though.

6. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

The rootstock that is now growing is called "Dr. Huey" and I'm glad to hear you at least got to see some flowers -- when roses lose the top of their grafts here and Dr. Huey grows, it NEVER blooms!