mustard greens in zone 6-7

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by SquashNut, Feb 10, 2010.

1. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

If you plant mustard greens in zone 6-7 as early as possible. How many cutting would you get before it's time to clear the beds for a summer crop.

2. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I always get way more than I want. I prefer collards, and only get one cutting I'd say in that time- but I let mine go on forever, still nibbling on raw collards from spring/summer

3. kruizeag

kruizeag Well-Known Member

You should be able to plant mustard greens in late March to mid April. They will bolt in the heat of June and July. You can plant another round in August for October harvesting. Follow the planting guidelines for Kale when planting mustard.

4. arcticow

arcticow Well-Known Member

Fall greens seem to do better somehow.

5. Dirt2Dig

Dirt2Dig Well-Known Member

This will be my first year trying to grow mustard greens. Can mustard greens tolerate a frost?

6. SquashNut

In the spring mine do. I plant mine around April 10th normally. We get frost clear up till June 1st and they do quite well.
    Last fall they got froze out pretty bad though. i left them alone and they grew back.

7. Dirt2Dig

Dirt2Dig Well-Known Member

Thanks Squashnut,

That's good to know. Last year our last frost was June 7th! I usually plant out the majority of things Memorial Day weekend. So that was a big surprise.

8. SquashNut

With some studying you can learn to have a spring garden. Things like greens, broccolli, root crops can be planted as soon as the soil can be worked. if your trying to feed a family it is worth it to add the extra crops/growing time to your garden plan.
    then after some of the summer crops are done you can have a fall garden too.

9. Txsteader

Txsteader Well-Known Member

Most greens (excluding lettuce of course) will tolerate frost and even below freezing temps. Down here in zone 9, we plant in fall and let them grow through the winter. My greens survived mid-20° temps a few weeks ago just fine.....onion seedlings, spinach, collards, turnips and cabbage all came through with flying colors. In many cases, frost actually improves their taste, making them sweeter. :)

10. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

My mustard greens (all volunteer since I didn't like it enough to plant again) are now green healthy and covered in snow. Also did fine in 14 F freeze.

11. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

My mustard greens made it until the end of Dec.

12. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

I ended up buying my gandmothers old homeplace, where she had been growing some kind of India mustard. this garden stood in weedbed and grew up in trees, and brush, a twenty year abandonment mess, yet when I cleared it and cleaned it up, got things planted it still had and still does have this India mustard volunteers come up randomly, since I love it I let it grow and go to seed, it starts early and still has plants to take cuttings off of till frost. its soooo good, a smart bite. gets 3 or 4 ft tall. ray