Mustang Help

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Caitedid, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Caitedid

Caitedid The Prairie Plate Supporter

So, moving back to the States means looking for a vehicle. I have a 92 Mustang at home, but it's having transmission problems. Hasn't been run in a few years now, but when I was driving it a fair bit, it seemed like it was leaking transmission fluid, and I would only be able to reverse, or only put it in drive but no reverse. It is an automatic. Any ideas? Hoping it'd be cheaper to get it up and running nice rather than having to sell at a big loss and buy something else. Caite

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you thought about ,After you get back. Talking to A transmission shop. And see what the cost would be to rebuild

3. buck_1one

buck_1one Well-Known Member

Is this a 5.0 or a 2.3? There are two different autos used one for the 5.0 and one for the 2.3. The 5.0's trans is cheaper to rebuild then the 2.3. You could also try and install a junkyard trans. Before I did any of the above I would drop the trans pan. Drain the fluid and change the filter. Take the inspection plate off the converter, turn the engine around by hand untill the converter drain plug is at the bottom. Remover the plug and drain the converter. Put plug and pan back on, fill trans with the proper fluid. You could also add a can of trans conditioner into it when you refill the trans. If the bottom of the trans pan is full of metal or a black sludge type of stuff, the trans is shot. Don't waste money on replacing the fluid if you see metal or the black sludge.

Buck

4. Caitedid

Caitedid The Prairie Plate Supporter

Thanks Buck! That was way over my head, but have a Chiltons and some handy friend types, so I'll see what I can do. Caite