Must sell our cows.

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Cray, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Cray

Cray Member

Hello,

I'm new to this forum but have been visiting it for some time now. My wife and I bought our little farm about a year ago. We had always wanted a family milk cow so we started looking around. I have always loved Jersey's because of the way they look as well as their disposition.

We finally found a dairy north of where we live that was reducing the size of their herd. We actually bought two of the cows they had for sale. One is a Jersey and the other is a Jersey/Guernsey cross. They are both great cows. Very gentle. I was informed last week that I'm going to have to start traveling for my work. This will require me to be gone through the week and only be at home on the weekends.

Since I'm not going to be home to milk I am forced to sell the cows. This is harder than I thought it would be. It's only been about 5 months now but I have really gotten attached to both of them. Letting them go is going to be tough. We have a portable milking machine that makes the job pretty easy but my wife just doesn't think she can handle it by herself. We're getting between 8 and 9 gallons of milk per day. We are bottle feeding two calves that take 4 gallons of the milk per day and what we don't take ourselves goes to the hogs we're raising to butcher.

I have two questions. 1. Should we have the cows bred back before we try to sell them? 2. Is there anyone in the Oklahoma area that would be interested in two really great cows and maybe a milking machine?

I hate selling the cows and if there was some way that I could keep them I would, but I have to be able to make the mortgage payment.

Any advice you can give on how I would go about selling the cows would be appreciated.

Charlie

2. Cray

Cray Member

This is a duplicate post. Could someone please be kind enough to tell me how to remove it. I haven't been able to figure it out.

Thanks.

3. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

Do you still have them for sale?