Muskrat eviction

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by AnnaS, Jan 28, 2005.

1. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

A muskrat has moved under my mobile home and it's gotta go. I can hear it pulling off the vapor barrier and was up until 1:30 last night discouraging it from coming into my room via the air duct (vinegar finally worked).

It's been varying between the air ducts and rattling the screen door and then running under the house all day.

Tried some discouraging things like dumping used kitty litter under the house and pouring in some ammonia- it's still there.

Can't shoot it as there's too much stuff under the house that I DON'T want to use as a backstop. DNR says I can shoot it when it comes out.

I can't use a regular furbearer trap without the licenses and the Humane Society won't lend me their live trap (it's not a pet).

Is there some good bait to get it out? Some other thing that would make it move somewhere else?

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Regular Rat poison.I can't believe they won't let you trap it.Good eating :haha:

big rockpile

3. RMShepp

RMShepp Active Member

This will sound strange; I haven't done it myself, but I have a friend who swears by it--bubble gum. No I'm not joking--Bazooka the kind you can by in the store in plastic tubs. I can't explain how it works, but somehow it supposedly kills the little buggers. Leave it in the wrapper and put it under your trailer. Let me know if it works.

4. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Big rockpile- nobody's not letting me trap it- I just can't afford a small game license, a trapping license, AND a trap. Whole different set of laws and paperwork for trapping and for getting rid of damaging critters.

I can't eat it after it got rat poison, can I? Ole Dad says it tastes like pork...

RMShepp I'll try that gum thing.

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

No you can't eat it after Rat Poison.I'm thinking if its your property and its doing damage ,you wouldn't need any Permits.But if you do need Permits,trap the dang thing get rid of it,don't say a word.They are really pretty easy to kill a Pellet Gun would do it with no problem.

big rockpile

6. Jim in MO

Jim in MO Well-Known Member

Big Rockpile is right just follow the 3 s rule except for trapping. I've heard about the bubble gum trick as well. Never tried it but heard it works. If you try to shoot it use a pellet gun or if you have a bolt action 22 rifle try a cb cap that way you run less risk of damage to your home. A wire snare may work as well.

Jim in MO

7. Pops2

Pops2 Well-Known Member

if you can find where the critter is coming in & out. block off all but one hole. then guard that hole w/ a snare. the snare loop should be 2" wide and 1 1/2-2" off the ground. "fence off" the hole so he has to go through the snare.

8. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

To let you know that you're not alone with this problem. My DD had one try to get into the house by destroying the door, so they put out a trap---nothing. My GD15 reported that some stuff was knocked around in the basement but they found nothing. One day my DD was taking a shower and when she reached for a towel, she spotted it behind the toilet! I guess she moved rather quickly. :eek: The got it into a trap and removed it from the premises. Oy vey!

9. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you sure it is a muskrat and not just a rat? Muskrats live near ponds and are a problem because they cause leaks, but I never heard of them living away from water. If it is just a rat a rat traps or poison would take care of it. Rita

10. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) I have my doubts as to what the species of critter is under there but I would scatter a box of mothballs around under there and wait for night fall when the critter will leave. Don't sleep there yourself with mothballs under there unless you have a good solid floor..the fumes are not good for you.

Good luck with the problem..if you find out what the ID of the critter is for sure I hope you will tell us.

LQ

11. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I haven't heard from Mr. Muskrat since last post- I did throw Double Bubble under there. No tracks leaving the one hole, but the barn cat has been back and forth under the house.
    Well, a lot of the snow melted off last week enough so I could take a peek. Here's the muskrat, stiff and dead, with the back of its neck chewed up. Kitty killed it.
    Best barn cat EVER. She was a dumpoff in Nov. and is a great hunter (she's been killing weasels in the barn) and totally ignores baby chicks.

Rita & Little Quacker, I was sure it was a muskrat. I've had pet rats as a kid, got a good look at this critter and its nice fur several times, and (I forgot to mention) I have the Crow Wing River on one side and a big pond on the other. I get a lot of aquatic traffic through here- there was a beaver migration (?) last spring that went through the back yard. Those guys are HUGE!